Author Topic: Hidden Transmitter Hunt - Anyone up for a Foxhunt???  (Read 4238 times)

Offline W1RC

• NEAR-Fest Founder & Benevolent Dictator.
  • Administrator
  • Extra
Hidden Transmitter Hunt - Anyone up for a Foxhunt???
« on: May 30, 2007, 01:36:42 AM »
Hidden transmitter hunts have been a major part of most hamfests but this activity has seemed to drop off lately and I am wondering if that's because of a lack of incentive.  I am pretty sure the interest is still there. 

Personally I think that a competition to find the hidden transmitter is very challenging and I know that there are several very experienced and accomplished T-Hunters in the NEAR-Fest community.  It's time to reactivate this wonderful hamfester event.  So I'm laying out the challenge!

Let's field a group or at least five contestants and I will offer up a very nice prize to the winner.  I am sure that Ned at West Mountain Radio will provide something good.

Also if there is sufficient interest from the community we could conduct a technical symposium on RDF and "Fox hunting".  This may get new blood interested in a fascinating subset of the Hobby.  The best part is that unlike other subsets this one doesn't require expensive equipment.  It does require skill however and these can be learned.  As I mentioned previously, we have the experts in the Community who could teach us how.

I have asked my friend with many years of fox hunting experience, Mitch Stern, W1SJ, to coordinate this event.  If this is something you like to do or might want to learn you may contact him at w1sj@arrl.net. 

MisterMike, W1RC

Offline KB1FRW

• Brain Trust
  • Technician
Re: Hidden Transmitter Hunt - Anyone up for a Foxhunt???
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 01:57:01 AM »
I'll do it for sure, I know I can run faster than Mitch.
Bob
KB1FRW
Extra class as of 9-14-07

Offline W1MRN

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 10:24:10 AM »
Mark me down as interested in the symposium.  I would like to try my hand at foxhunting, but haven't done it yet.

Offline N1BAC

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 12:59:21 PM »
I guess I'll throw in my Fox Hunting device and watch it go crazy with all the intermod  ;D

Arnie

Todd, KA1KAQ

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 01:54:50 PM »
Well, guys...considering that Mike posted this question in May with no responses until late August (and only three, so far) and only 2 weeks to go, let's shoot for getting this on the schedule next spring. We have a lot of interest in forums and events and a limited amount of time and space available, so it behooves us to schedule those that will have participation.

Stir up some additional interest and we'll publicize the hell out of it. ;)

Offline W1MRN

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 10:26:25 AM »
I check this forum daily, and I did not see the Foxhunt subject until the day I replied the first time.  I have no idea how it remained hidden for so long.

Todd, KA1KAQ

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 04:34:02 PM »
I recall seeing it here and discussing it with Mike back then. He put it out for folks to comment on to gauge interest. Since we don't have a way of notifying everyone on site who could potentially be interested, we need to get a good number of folks committed before we line someone up and potentially waste their time when no one shows up.

That said, we'll put this out there and mention it at the October 'fest to see what we can stir up for next May. In the meantime, we'll keep it posted here, probably put out a new announcement mid/late winter when folks are getting cabin fever.

It's certainly radio-related, and we're more than happy to schedule it if the interest is there.