Author Topic: Larry Damour, NEAR-Fest Director of Operations, SK 17 August 2018.  (Read 791 times)

Offline W1RC

• NEAR-Fest Founder & Benevolent Dictator.
  • Administrator
  • Extra
On Friday, August 17th 2018, Larry Damour, N1PHV, also known as “Sarge” passed away peacefully at his home in Weare NH with his loving family at his bedside.

Larry and I have been close friends for 22 years. I met Larry at the Weare Rally in 1996 when some buddies and I hauled up a huge pile of old military radios that sold faster than we could take the money.  We both always remembered that day. 

Larry was a Fire Warden and later Director of Operations at the New England Amateur Radio Festival, or NEAR-Fest, for ten years.  He also worked with me as Deputy Superintendent of Radio Communications for seven years.  I also helped him in a very small way at the Weare Rally.  It was a pure pleasure to work with Larry.  He was highly competent and totally dependable.  Most important is he was fun to be with, always laughing and joking around.  Larry knew how to have fun.  We shared many an interesting adventure together and enjoyed a lot of private jokes that only we understood.

Larry was a brave firefighter and EMT who saved many lives over his twenty-five year career with the Concord Fire Department.  He was a true patriotic American and a proud New Hampshire boy.  He served his country proudly and willingly when some did not.  He was 100% disabled but cheerfully played out the hand he was dealt until the end.  I never heard Larry complain.  He had a wonderful supportive and loving family, wife Dottie, children Melanie, Larry Jr and Timothy as well as two grandkids.  He thoroughly enjoyed his work and his hobbies.  The sixty plus M-151 JEEPS he lovingly restored are only part of his legacy. 

Larry was possibly the happiest man I ever met. 

Everyone should be so fortunate to have a friend like Larry Damour.......Larry touched so many lives including mine.  He may be gone from this earth but he will never be gone from our memory.  He was a very unique individual.  My life is a little bit emptier now that he is gone.

NEAR-Fest XXIV (Oct 12th and 13th 2018) is respectfully dedicated to Larry’s memory.

My sincerest condolences to his family and many many friends.

73 N1PHV, SK, de W1RC
Mister Mike

Offline W1RC

• Administrator
  • Extra
Re: Larry Damour, NEAR-Fest Director of Operations, SK 17 August 2018.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 08:29:51 AM »
More pics........

Offline W1RC

• Administrator
  • Extra
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 11:48:33 AM »
Even more pics!

Offline AA1SU

• ARRL Vermont Section Manager
  • General
    • ARRL Vermont Web Site
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 08:55:02 PM »
Mike,
Sorry to hear about the loss of your good friend, Larry N1PHV.  I don't think I ever met him, but he sounds like a real fun guy to be around.

BTW, nice photo bomb in the Deerfield Community Church picture.

Paul N. Gayet AA1SU
Paul N. Gayet AA1SU
ARRL Vermont Section Manager
AA1SU@arrl.org
FISTS #4028
Please visit
http://www.arrl.org/sections/?sect=VT
for the latest in ARRL Vermont Section News