Author Topic: What Do We Call This Hamfest???  (Read 2382 times)

Offline W1RC

• NEAR-Fest Founder & Benevolent Dictator.
  • Administrator
  • Extra
What Do We Call This Hamfest???
« on: September 14, 2007, 02:05:26 AM »
I guess there's been some discussion and confusion about what we are supposed to be calling this hamfest.

The official name is The New England Amateur Radio Festival.  It is a festive or celebratory, happy occasion.  NEAR-Fest is the acronym.  I created the name in February 2007 because I wanted something descriptive to clearly indicate that this is a lot more than just a flea market.  NEAR-Fest is easy to say and write which is essentially what acronyms are for.  Our official name meets this criteria perfectly.

NEAR-Fest I, II, etc. are serialized names and are only used when referring to a specific event in relation to other NEAR-Fest events.  May 2007 was NEAR-Fest I and the upcoming event is NEAR-Fest II.  May 2008 will be NEAR-Fest III and so on.

I have heard that some people are calling it "Deer-Fest" which is cool but unofficial.  For obvious reasons "Rochester" soon became "Rainchester", "Rottenchester, "Roachfield", "Deerchester" and other permutations too colorful to mention.

Similarly we used to call FAR-Fest "Gaithersburg", the RARA Hamfest "Rochester, Hamvention "Dayton" and others we don't even know the official name by the city/town they are held.

We're not the only ones who do this.  The "Hamcation" is commonly called "Orlando", and the Northern California DX event is "Visalia".  I think this is a pretty common thing.

So then it seems fully understandable to me at least, it is natural for those of us who used to go there in the Hosstraders days to just call it "Deerfield".  Even after the event was moved to Rochester and even Hopkinton some of the early vets still called the Hosstraders event "Deerfield".  Either it was from force of habit or just wishful thinking.

So try not to be confused if I or any of the other veteran hamfest-goers refer to NEAR-Fest as "Deerfield" because it's really a big part of the culture and Grand Tradition we are trying to preserve.

In the long run it doesn't matter what you or we call if so long as you come, have a great time and keep coming back to our festive event to celebrate radio with us!

Mister Mike, W1RC

Offline w1es

• General
Re: What Do We Call This Hamfest???
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 12:40:18 PM »
... and you'll notice that Kingston was so bad that it didn't even GET a nickname! >:( 

It was usually referred to as ******* Kingston :-)