Author Topic: Weather Forecasts - Who Need 'Em!!!  (Read 7805 times)

Offline W1RC

• NEAR-Fest Founder & Benevolent Dictator.
  • Administrator
  • Extra
Weather Forecasts - Who Need 'Em!!!
« on: October 08, 2007, 12:12:55 PM »
As we approach 'D' Day and the opening of NEAR-Fest II on Friday morning there is obviously a great deal of speculation on the weather.  Frankly I think it's a waste of time to check forecasts especially this far in advance.  It only sets you up for disappointment when they are wrong which is often.

Despite the advances in satellite and other technologies weather forecasting is still an inexact science.  If most people were wrong as often as meterologists they would probably lose their jobs.  As an illustration of this try checking several of the online weather services and you will often find contradictory forecasts for the same location and date. 

The fact of the matter is that NEAR-Fest II is on for Friday October 12th and Saturday the 13th rain or shine!  There is NO rain date.  We are committed.  We are going!

How many of you remember the Hosstraders at Rochester NH?  We didn't call it "Rainchester" or "Rottenchester" for nothing.  But despite the weather we went anyways, often leaving home before dawn in the pouring rain and still managed to have a great time.   How many of you remember the "WB2SIQ Party Bus" at Deerfield on October 1984?

Despite the fact that Deerfield has a reputation for FB weather it is inevitable that sooner or later we will have a wet one.  After all this IS New England!  So don't worry about it - if it's raining just come anyways.  I assure you that you won't be alone.

MisterMike, W1RC

Offline ve1hd

• General
  • extra
Re: Weather Forecasts - Who Need 'Em!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 01:20:46 AM »
I could not agree more Mike. We have been there in the rain. The second Deerfield I ever attended was a downpour. Year before last at Hopkinton on Sat it poured. That is why you can buy umbrellas and rain gear. See you there....

Offline W1RC

• Administrator
  • Extra
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 02:48:17 AM »
I could not agree more Mike. We have been there in the rain. The second Deerfield I ever attended was a downpour. Year before last at Hopkinton on Sat it poured. That is why you can buy umbrellas and rain gear. See you there....

I was there too and remember how it really came down at Hopkinton in May of 2006.   Talk about wet!!!  But what are you going to do - let a little rain ruin your fun?   Not me - I've gotten some of my best flea market buys in the rain. 

NEAR-Fest goes on regardless.  We refuse to be a victim of the weather.  We have lots of indoor activities as well and if the wx is really bad we can open up a big building with just a few minutes notice and move the flea market inside.  So it really doesn't matter if the weather isn't quite as we would like ...  "It is what it is"!

Of course you "Bluenosers" are a hardy lot, not likely to be intimidated by a little rain, eh???

MisterMike

W1RC (also VE2XZ)

Offline KB1NXL

• Novice
  • I'm a General NOT Novice! No way to update!!!
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 03:23:22 PM »
I plan to be there - rain or clouds (i've planned this for months to take Friday off) - but here's the rub....will vendors/tailgaters be there?  hate to show up and have five people there with little to show/sell.  How sure are the folks running the show that they haven't received 72 cancellations for Friday? ???

KB1NXL
KB1NXL
General Class Operator (not Novice!!)

Offline W1RC

• Administrator
  • Extra
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 04:28:27 PM »
I plan to be there - rain or clouds (i've planned this for months to take Friday off) - but here's the rub....will vendors/tailgaters be there?  hate to show up and have five people there with little to show/sell.  How sure are the folks running the show that they haven't received 72 cancellations for Friday? ???
KB1NXL
Don't worry.  Even if the wx is not good many of the "hard-core" will still show up.  We've all been lookiog forward to this for months and we won't let a little moisture deter us from having a good time.

MrMike

Offline W1DEC

• Novice
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 01:28:15 PM »
Hi Mike,

I am doing my best to bring some Southern New England sunshine on Friday; it should linger through Saturday!
    See you in Deefield,
           Dave, W1DEC

Offline KA1TUZ

• Novice
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 01:34:52 PM »
Mike  ask N1IST about the time his tent became a swmming poo lat Manchester but we still set up and I was happy as I found my 735  that day. KA1TUZ Dick :)

Todd, KA1KAQ

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 01:36:23 PM »

The commercial vendors are inside buildings anyway and since rainy or cooler wx brings people inside, they stand to do even better. Many folks bring tents or awnings even in good weather. We also have workshops/forums/guest speakers in the Entertainment building both days along with exams, so plenty to do there.

And as MrMike points out, the diehard folks always show up, regardless. We go for the opportunity to spend time with old friends as much as to peruse the flea market. In fact, I'd bet the vast majority of people show up at any given event, with the smaller number staying home. Prepaid ticket sales indicate a definite interest and desire to be there, regardless.

I've spent the last week or so getting ready for this event. Between getting gear ready to sell or give away and preparing for some pre-fest company tomorrow, I've been flat out.

My last thought: very few of these multi-day events have ideal weather the entire time. Yet we still seem to have great stories to tell from the past. We don't let the threat of a few raindrops keep us from an event we all look forward to. We simply work around it, and benefit from a little less competition if looking for deals.

It's all good...  ;)

Offline ve1bng

• Technician
  • One of our 600 foot Antennas
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007, 02:46:06 PM »
 ;D

We will be there Rain or Shine all the way from VE land  CAPE BRETON
( NOVA SCOTIA)

It's a long drive but we enjoy the event very much

VE1BNG and VE1HD

See ya there...........

Gary 
Ve1bng
Don't let the Smoke out of semiconductors

Offline n1iwv

• Advanced
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2007, 07:07:32 PM »
Hi All:
The WX will be what it is and there is nothing we can do about it.
For those putting up shelters, tents or awnings, please be advised that the forecast for Friday evening is to be windy (30 MPH). So plan to tie things down. I remember one event  where someone got hurt by an flying canopy.
See you all there

Ed

Offline k1oik

• General
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2007, 09:21:34 PM »
The wx is looking up, best wx Saturday morning

Offline WA1LGQ

• Technician
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2007, 02:10:46 PM »