Author Topic: Great Job on Near-Fest II!!!  (Read 10364 times)

Offline K1BOS

• General
Great Job on Near-Fest II!!!
« on: October 14, 2007, 11:59:14 PM »
Thanks to the whole crew of Near-Fest II it was a smashing success. Even with the weather of the first day the weekend was excellent. I also want to thank you guys again for the hotel deal that I did again this time. Can't wait for NearFest III

John K1BOS
gemoto.com compound

Offline Scan Cape Cod

• Novice
    • Scan Cape Cod/Scan Massachusetts
Re: Great Job on Near-Fest II!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 01:44:34 AM »
I'll second that. I missed Saturday, but everything seemed to run like clockwork on Friday. Excellent job; I'll look forward to the spring.

Scott/KC1UA
Scott/KC1UA
Webmaster - Scan Cape Cod/Scan Massachusetts
http://www.scancapecod.us

bc

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 03:24:42 PM »
I'll second that. I missed Saturday, but everything seemed to run like clockwork on Friday. Excellent job; I'll look forward to the spring.

Scott/KC1UA

I thought things could have been better physically organized.  Things were too spread out in oddball places, dead-ends, back roads/paths with one or two people on them, etc.  I understand saving costs by not printing programs and such for handout, but posting event maps here and there would have helped find things.  Volunteers and organizers were not identifiable, except at the gate.  Finally, the retail vendors were pretty much selling at retail prices for everything I looked at - not much point to that when I can go to the local HRO or order via Internet. 

On the positive side, there were a LOT of interesting things for sale by individuals, the entry price was reasonable, and parking was free.  I also like that the non-radio content was almost nil, with only a few tables of flea market stuff.

Todd, KA1KAQ

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 05:44:11 PM »
I thought things could have been better physically organized.  Things were too spread out in oddball places, dead-ends, back roads/paths with one or two people on them, etc.  I understand saving costs by not printing programs and such for handout, but posting event maps here and there would have helped find things. 

There is always room for improvement, and we learn more each time we put on this event, in part from this input. For the October event, we added a few things like Forums and Workshops, which went well but presented a number of kinks that need to be worked out. Program handouts are at the top of the list for next May, including a map on the back showing the fairground layout and identifying the buildings. The spread out nature and back roads/paths will remain the same, however. It's part of the tradition and character of Deerfield, and the vast majority of folks prefer it to a flat, open parking lot.

Volunteers and organizers were not identifiable, except at the gate.

Volunteers wore pins, organizers wore gray shirts including their names along with very distinct and visible clip-on badges. Some of us did wear coats Saturday morning, which may have negated some of that. When all else fails, go to the place where you here the noise (sound stage in the Relaxation Grove area) and ask. The NEAR-Fest team trailer was located right beside the stage.

Finally, the retail vendors were pretty much selling at retail prices for everything I looked at - not much point to that when I can go to the local HRO or order via Internet. 

Absolutely true. In fact, they're in the business to make money, too.  If you're only there to shop for retail items you can easily get on the internet, there's probably not much of interest to you. Most folks attend for the overall event and atmosphere, not simply to shop for what's available online. But keep in mind that retail vendors don't have to attend our event, they choose to. And it cost them money to do so. That said, I understand HRO and other retailers did quite well...

The increase in attendance despite less-than-perfect weather says we're moving in the right direction. We'll be adding and improving for the May installment, in our continuing quest to provide a top-notch event for all to enjoy.

Hope to see you there.

Offline w1es

• General
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 06:22:51 PM »
I'll be wishy-washy and say there's merit to all the responses here. :-D

Seriously:  I did mention to Mr. Mike, Twoof and Ed a few tweaks (signage issues, mostly) and they are already on top of it for next time.  The bottom line here is that it has gone off extremely well for the second iteration of the event.  Previous experience with walking around the fairgrounds notwithstanding, it's quite another thing to run such a huge event and do it well.  I think that this is great testimony to the dedication and skill of Mr. Mike, Twoof, Ed, Paulie and all of the volunteers who helped out.

I attend because it's a great opportunity to visit with the maximum number of my ham friends in one weekend and thus it's just one 2 1/2 hour plane flight away from me :-)

I hope to see y'all in the spring!

And someone -- please post some pics!

Steve, W1ES/4

Offline K1WIZ

• Extra
    • Pirate Ship FM @ NearFest
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 07:04:16 PM »
Hi all,

On behalf of my wife, friends and myself, I would like to say that I enjoyed Near Fest II and I think given the amount of growth this event has undergone in just the 2nd in it's making, it was a smashing success and a WONDERFUL time. 

While there, we set up and operated the broadcast facility on 90.5FM and partnered with 650AM and the other micro-casters out there as well.  We got a phenominal positive response to our broadcast format and style, and were VERY happy to have had the opportunity to entertain and please as many as possible. 

On behalf of Jim (N1LNX), Adam (KB1MRJ), and myself (representing the crew of The Pirate Ship station, we thank Everyone for all their support and even criticism as it helps us provide a more effective and entertaining broadcast the next time around.  We would also like to thank the ENTIRE staff of NearFest for providing a suitable facility from which to operate, as well as their endorsement and support regarding allowing our crew the necessary time to properly get set up and on the air in time for the event. 

My wife and her friend Tintin (from the Philippines) did document some elements of our experience and effort and i have uploaded the pictures to my Multiply site:  http://netwiz.multiply.com  I will be uploading more later on, but this should give you a peek at our crew and how "we do it", as well as a closeup of our transmission facility and equipment.

We plan on updating our website www.pirateshipradio.com as soon as Jim and i can get together and give it an overhaul. 

I want to personally thank Tom for lending us his MPX generator for the duration of our broadcast...  it helped us out a lot and improved the sound quality.  Thanks TOM! 

In the Spring, we will be moving to a new frequency:  95.1FM instead of 90.5.  We discovered 95.1 was more clear than the 90.5 frequency and therefore a more effective choice. 

So in the spring, look for us on 95.1FM! 

See you all in May 2008!

John, N1WIL

Offline N1ZZN

• General
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 11:23:02 PM »
I would also like to thank the staff for the great event NEARFest has become. I'd also like to thank those who listened to 103.1 WHTR. We had many comments from people who appreciated our music format, jingles, and liners voiced by Jed, N1JBC, who has worked in radio in the past.

While we may not have been up on the main stage, I still enjoy running the station, and hope to be more of a part of broadcasting information about the event in the future. If the program for NEARFest III is published a couple weeks in advance, I can put together recorded messages mentioning events and vendors, and where they are located on the fairgrounds. I'm not able to be behind the mic the whole time at the station, since I would like to be able to enjoy the fest just as much as anyone else.

I've enjoyed meeting many of the professional broadcasters that have stopped by the table at the fest, including station owners, DJs, and engineers. We may possibly have a much cleaner stereo sound in the spring, stay tuned!

I also hope everyone enjoyed our special broadcast on Friday night... I won't mention what it was, but those of you that listened know :)

Deerfield's 103.1 WHTR - Rockin' The Hamfest For Over 4 Years

Offline kb1lrl

• General
  • Technician
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 04:52:34 PM »
 I second, third and fourth that motion! Despite the weather I had a great time. Could we do a third day? oh.... don't make me drool!

I will point out one thing though, I observed Mr. Mike running around like a crazy person putting out fires all over the place. This guy who does a fabulous job, should and deserve to enjoy it and sit back and admire the work. He looked like he could'nt get a chance if he tried. I would like to see if the committee could address this. I know and agree, more volunteers are needed to help out and I hope that others could step up. I am looking at seeing if there is a way I can jump in too.

I think the whole staff should be commended for the effort they bring forth and look foward to Mays event. I wish continued success for all involved. Thank you a thousand times.
Ray, KB1LRL

Offline k1oik

• General
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2007, 01:10:56 AM »
I listened to the FM radio despite the God awful music.
Get a clue, the AVERAGE age is not tweeny.
Nice to see WA1HLR is now establishment.
You should have made a bettrer attempt to locate the grand prize winner.
If he sued you, he would win.
It was far smaller than Dayton and smaller than Deerfield 18 years ago.
Other than those minor problems you are to be HIGHLY commended for a superb job.

Offline ve1hd

• General
  • extra
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 03:38:16 AM »
Mr Mike and crew are to be complimented on a good job well done. I enjoyed it very much.
Only one suggestion from this camp. Maybe in the future the ticket numbers from the various draws could be announced over 146.520 mhz as well as any other means. Over the course of all the draws we did not hear one number.
Other than that a great job guys. Will be back...

Clarence ... VE1HD

Offline N1PKJ Brad

• Novice
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2007, 07:08:56 PM »
Mr.Mike and the Guys
My thanks to you for all your hard work and attention to detail it was a most enjoyable event!
Thankyou
Brad

Offline K1WIZ

• Extra
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2007, 08:38:21 PM »
I listened to the FM radio despite the God awful music.
Get a clue, the AVERAGE age is not tweeny.
Nice to see WA1HLR is now establishment.
You should have made a bettrer attempt to locate the grand prize winner.
If he sued you, he would win.
It was far smaller than Dayton and smaller than Deerfield 18 years ago.
Other than those minor problems you are to be HIGHLY commended for a superb job.

Burt,  After reading your comments above and also paying a visit to your QRZ Bio (which I DID take the time to read) I find your criticism to be placed in a rather obnoxiously arrogant manner.  Several people (not just my crew) volunteer their time and even material resources to contribute their piece to to make NearFest what it is, an event enjoyed by many.  While I understand not everyone can be pleased, the goal is to please as many as possible, have a good time doing it, and provide some contribution in part to the event as a whole.  Though I am not the only volunteer in the microbroadcasting arena of NearFest, I do know that the others also put forth a great deal of dedication and effort to add to the experience.  If there's something you or anyone else does not enjoy about the programming being carried by the microbroadcasting stations, you are free to turn your dial to a more palatable choice.  After all, that's the beauty of radio - to be able to tune out or tune in.  You are not forced to listen at any time.  In an attempt to be objective here, I concede that not everyone there likes what we play (or any other micro-station).  It is impossible to please everyone - even we are aware of that. 

One thing you should keep in mind however, is the core mission of why NearFest was chartered:  To promote the interest of Ham Radio and Radio Related activities in today's youth.  Our programming is carefully chosen and generated with this in mind, though we play items of interest that span a very broad base of interest depending on the time of day.  We strive for a clean mix of "hot AC" in addition to rock/light metal and Top 40.  We believe by the response we've received from listeners to date, that we are in the right groove. 

As volunteers, I do not appreciate your pompous, and condescending manner in which you offer your opinion, though you are surely entitled to it, and I invite you to tune out if you wish. 

As a kid growing up (and I'm sure it was taught in your generation as well) "if you don't have anything good to say, it is best left unsaid".  A lot of people (not just my team) put a lot of hard work into adding their talents to make NearFest what it is, and what is to become, it is not appropriate for you to publicly deface their efforts because you feel you are disgusted.

There's a right way and a wrong way. 

Regards,

Offline ve2cvj

• Novice
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2007, 12:43:09 AM »
bravo, well said, people who work to make near-fest, a fun loving gathering, merit all our admiration and respect.I appreciated your work
 if something is not right,well roll up your sleeves and give a hand,don't bring it down..,.

Offline W1RC

• NEAR-Fest Founder & Benevolent Dictator.
  • Administrator
  • Extra
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2007, 04:16:17 AM »
bravo, well said, people who work to make near-fest, a fun loving gathering, merit all our admiration and respect. I appreciated your work if something is not right,well roll up your sleeves and give a hand,don't bring it down..,.
Merci beaucoup, Claude.  You and the gang from La Belle Province are always welcome at NEAR-Fest.  It gives me particular pleasure to see all my friends from Canada having such a good time at Deerfield again.  I have not been able to come to Laval, Sorel or Longueuil for a couple of years and I am hoping that this will change soon.

It is very important to us that NEAR-Fest is viewed as an international hamfest to the same degree that our great hobby is also viewed.

73 and see you all in May 2008.

MisterMike VE2XZ

Offline K1WIZ

• Extra
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2007, 04:55:00 AM »
Mr Mike and crew are to be complimented on a good job well done. I enjoyed it very much.
Only one suggestion from this camp. Maybe in the future the ticket numbers from the various draws could be announced over 146.520 mhz as well as any other means. Over the course of all the draws we did not hear one number.
Other than that a great job guys. Will be back...

Clarence ... VE1HD

Clarence,

Thanks for your input.  I know some of the people did have some difficulty hearing the drawing because they were not near a broadcast receiver when the numbers we're being read over the air and the PA on the stage.  I do not believe it would be terribly hard to set up a voice only VOX simulcast on 146.520 and I'll look into it between now and NF3.  It's a simple matter of splitting the MIC feed (pre-mix) and simulcasting the announcement over the 2M frequency.  I am also sure the "Tron" will have access to our announcement feed for the 650KHz frequency as well  - although he's in charge of that so I will have to email him about that possibility.  If there are any other micro-casters that are interested in re-broadcasting our pre-mix announcement feed, they can keep a squelched receiver in standby piped into their consoles and announcements can be easily syndicated that way.  Else if there is a better solution I'm all ears. 

See you in the spring...    on 95.1FM!

Regards,

John, N1WIL