Author Topic: WiFi and internet comes to NearFest!  (Read 6346 times)

Offline K1WIZ

• Extra
    • Pirate Ship FM @ NearFest
WiFi and internet comes to NearFest!
« on: December 27, 2007, 02:51:05 PM »
It is true: my team will be setting up a WiFi zone @ NearFest III (Spring 2008).  The service will be offered in 3 flavors:

1) Free local LAN:  The ability to swap files locally over the file server that will be running the zone.  No access to the internet offered with this package.  LAN file transfer speeds may approach as much as 48mbps!

2) LAN and basic Internet: Same as above but with 56K access to the internet.  HTTP (web) only, downloads blocked.  Service Fee Applies

3) LAN and premium link: Same as above but speeds up to 1.5mbps possible downstream - Limited downloads permitted.  Service Fee Applies

The wifi network will be a G type network backwards compatible with B type devices.  Expected coverage will be 100% of the fairgrounds using a 15db omnidirectional elevated antenna.  For best results, an external wifi device should be used on the client side for devices on the edge of the coverage zone.

Instructions for obtaining service:

Open your wifi enabled device and connect to the wifi net labeled "N1WIL".  No password will be necessary to get a local LAN connection.  To connect to the internet, please stop by our broadcast booth at the Relaxation Grove stage to purchase an internet service ticket, which you can use to log onto the internet gateway on the wifi LAN.  Your internet access will be good for the entire operating duration of the fest and will end just after the closing ceremonies.

EDIT: Pricing of this service will be determined after the system is set up.  Some latest research into local 3G coverage is somewhat undetermined at this time.

Information about this service will also be announced on 95.1FM The Pirate Ship FM as well.

Offline N1BAC

• Technician
Re: WiFi and internet comes to NearFest!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 02:40:58 PM »
Do you know if a Linksys WRE54G Wireless-G Range Expander will work with your wireless network? I'm guessing that it will, but not sure. I'm planning on locating down "over the edge" in the lower lot from your area in my travel trailer. I plan on bringing the Expander with me, so if it works, there will be better coverage down there.

Arnie
N1BAC

Offline K1WIZ

• Extra
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 10:58:45 PM »
Arnie,

Thanks for your inquiry.  I'll let you know up front that I *do not* allow anyone to link to my network using an expander or AP repeater setup.  Doing so causes additional RF frame repeats and slows down the network for anyone who uses it directly.  If I catch anyone associating another AP as a repeater with my network (can be detected by checking my AP association logs), they will be permanently banned and not allowed to be considered for network usage.  I apologize in advance if this seems a bit harsh, but it is an attempt to maintain a certain quality of service on the system.  I hope you can understand.

Feel free however to use a directional antenna and point it toward our system for best results.  On our end, with an elevated radio at half a watt and a 15db omni, it shouldn't  be hard to provide blanket coverage to most of the grounds.  If you have any questions, we'd be happy to help you out, just come by and talk to us about your setup and we'll give you a hand if you need it.

See you at the fest!

John

Offline N1BAC

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 02:29:48 AM »
Thanks, John, for the clarification. I certainly understand. That's one less thing I have to remember to put in my trailer. Don't have a directional. Maybe I'll just hang my USB dongle out the window and see what happens from the lower level.

See you next Friday/Saturday.

Arnie

Offline K1BOS

• General
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 01:25:46 PM »
There has actually been free WiFi at all the Near-Fest's so far. I have been running an open WiFi connection at each of them and some times have had over 30 connections. Now I'm sure it was not at the level or range of what you plan to provide but it was there.
John  K1BOS

Offline K1WIZ

• Extra
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 02:16:03 PM »
John,

Yes there were some available connections...  many of them were slow though.  We are packing enterprise-grade speeds via a redundant 3G backbone.  Our speeds will average at least 3 - 6 mbps to the internet. 

Our setup is more of a carrier-class installation rather than a simple cellphone connected via USB to an edge/EVDO network.

We also have a high gain 3G pickup for guaranteed access to the backbone.

Our aim is primarily to provide reliable high speed access to commercial vendors (or anyone who's willing to pay to use our premium network) we are not in any way attempting to compete with the free wifi AP's.  Our model is simple: if you want high speed access, and you are willing to pay our connection fee, you get high speed access.  Simple.  We are planning to price the service according to the demand.  The more demand, the higher the price.  The connection is good enough quality for VOIP termination to the end user, so to maintain this level of service, we have scaled the network up quite a bit using enterprise-grade routing equipment.  We're not expecting that many will hop on (in fact the less the better) but for those who really need such a high quality connection, it will be there. 

;)

Regards,

John

Offline capvan

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 02:20:34 PM »
Charges to hook up?

Bruce

Offline K1WIZ

• Extra
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 02:23:35 PM »
Currently, I do not know what the pricing will be or what the upcoming demand will be.  While i have verified that there is available 3G coverage in the area to feed into our distribution head, I am not certain how it will actually perform.  AT&T says there's coverage, but we both know that usually what is promised is not always the reality.

When we set up our systems and do an initial survey of the strength and quality of upstream service, I will price access based on available circuit bandwidth and user demand/needs.

I really want to be able to give you a price upfront, but at this time, since we have never done this before and don't know what to expect or what may crop up unexpectedly, I don't want to get our team into a commitment we are unable to meet.  I will say that VOIP requires a very high quality connection to be possible, and the quality needs of the user affect price as well, obviously users with such needs will pay a little more.

Thanks for understanding.

Feel free to come over once you're setup and discuss with us your needs and by then we should be able to give you a definite price for the access.

Offline K2KI

• Novice
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 12:32:55 PM »
I would like to run Ventrillo to keep in touch with the family at home. I would be using port 3784. Will that service be supported?

73, cul...
Bob de k2ki

-
Of all the things I've lost in life, I miss my mind the most!

Offline K1WIZ

• Extra
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 12:39:31 PM »
Yes it will be supported, but at a high premium.  Pricing to be determined after system setup and demand.