Author Topic: Trip to Deerfield Fairgrounds April 16th 2008  (Read 2163 times)

Offline W1RC

• NEAR-Fest Founder & Benevolent Dictator.
  • Administrator
  • Extra
Trip to Deerfield Fairgrounds April 16th 2008
« on: April 17, 2008, 11:10:48 AM »
Yesterday (April 16th) the wx was absolutely perfect here in Northern New England.  It's Spring Break and so I decided to take advantage of the nice day and took a road trip with the family to Concord to see a show at the Planetarium.  Since I was in the area I decided to take a run over to Deerfield and see how the Fairgrounds had weathered the winter.

Despite some of the rumors I have been hearing, the Fairgrounds will be ready for us in two weeks.  In fact, if we were opening the gates today we'd be fine.  It is true that we have experienced a "bad" winter but after all, this is New England!  There is a bit of snow still left on the ground but it's from the accumulation that slid off the metal roofs and piled up high over the winter.  It's mostly gone and I expect with a few more days like yesterday it will all be just a memory by the time we arrive there on the 2nd.

When I arrived just after 2:00PM John, the maintenance director, and his staff were busily cleaning up the grounds after the long winter.  They greeted me warmly and told me that they were happy to see us back again this year mainly because we cleaned up after ourselves and didn't make them any extra work.   

I assured them that the commitment we made last year will continue to be in effect and this will be the case with NEAR-Fest every time we make use of the grounds.  If you see John and his crew please take a second to thank them for keeping the grounds so nice and pristine for us every time we convene a NEAR-Fest at Deerfield.

Here are some more shots I took while touring the grounds.  If you have a slow connection it may take a bit of time to load the images.

This is the worst of the snow accumulation but you'll never see this pile even if it doesn't melt.

This is what's left along the side of COMMERCIAL BUILDING #1.

The "AM Corral" is ready!  If you are looking for the "AM Gangstas" and other assorted miscreants you'll likely find them here.

So is the Deerfield Community Church food emporium and "Neil's Diamond".  I can't wait until I sit down to sample their wonderful French toast with hand-picked blueberries and REAL maple syrple.

Soon the benches will be replaced with our friends from "The Pirate Ship" who will be providing us with great tuneage and important announcements of interst to all.

The Entertainment Building, venue for the Forums and the NEAR-Fest Jam, is now ready for occupancy!

This is "P'tit Quebec" (Little Quebec).  Soon it will be occupied by our friend from up North.  Be sure to stop by and say "bienvenue a NEAR-Fest"!

The most important buildings of all, the food concessionnaires will be ready too!

This empty space will soon be filled with the vintage military radio folks and the gang from Providence RI.

Yes, they're ready too.  Everything is ready.  Are you?

I'm really looking forward to May 2nd!  It's only two more weeks to go!  See you there!

MisterMike, W1RC