Author Topic: Please Help with Rig Testing Service  (Read 31079 times)

Offline kd1na

• General
Re: Please Help with Rig Testing Service
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2007, 04:49:33 PM »
Bill,

I would suggest that is a seller wants to bring in a rig to be certifed that it is working then it is up to him to prove it.  We will operate the test equipment, he tunes up his rig.  If a customer wants a rig tested than I know I could tune up the rig without too many problems unless it is a strange old military rig. I can be on call if a technicion at the repair table needs assistance in this matter.

Dave KD1NA

Offline kd1na

• General
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2007, 04:59:11 PM »
 ;DIt a seller wants to test a rig before selling he should dimonstrate it's operation to the technicion while the technicion operates and monitors the test gear. If a buyer wants to test a rig the technician should do this.  If the technicion is not firmilier with operating a rig he could either give me or the seller a call to operate the rig.

Offline W1AC

• General
    • My home page
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2007, 08:49:43 PM »
Fellow Hams,

I'm looking for more volunteers to help at the rig testing table.

If you can spare an hour or two, please email me and tell me what time(s) you're available.

Thank you!

73, Bill W1AC

Offline kd1na

• General
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2007, 06:30:24 AM »
Bill,

A suggestion

The customer should at least be present when testing the rig but it would be a case by case basis on what the customer does at our discretion.  An example, if the customer wants to check out an HT. If he (or she) knows how to operate the rig we would monitor and verify the operation by running a Qso on the rig. If the customer is not firmiler with the rig we should assist.  HF rigs should be operated by us with the customer observing. (You don't have to be a ham to buy a rig at the hamfest so this is our way of keeping things leagle).

Dave KD1NA

Offline W1RC

• NEAR-Fest Founder & Benevolent Dictator.
  • Administrator
  • Extra
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2007, 06:54:55 AM »
This is assuming the buyer knows more than the technician.

MrMike

[snip]
The people that volunteer as repair technicians should be professional enough that they don't harm either the test equipment or the customer's rig.

Dave KD1NA

Dave,

Damn, that's something else I should have thought of: should we require the customer to tune the rig? I'm certainly qualified to not harm the test equipment, but if someone claims we ruined their 30-year-old sweep tubes, I wouldn't know how to deal with that.

73, Bill

Offline W1AC

• General
    • My home page
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2007, 12:55:48 PM »
Fellow hams,

We are still in need of vounteers to man the rig-test station!

Please contribute an hour or two of your time at Near-Fest. We're doing simple, straightforward tests on rigs, and you'll help both the fest and the buyers.

Thanks for considering it.

73, Bill W1AC

Offline ford91exploder

• Novice
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2007, 12:21:02 PM »
I'll volunteer I'll be there late afternoon Friday.

I also have a couple of Boonton modulation analyzers which I can bring along.

Scott - N1JIN

Offline W1AC

• General
    • My home page
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2007, 09:48:44 PM »
I'll volunteer I'll be there late afternoon Friday.

I also have a couple of Boonton modulation analyzers which I can bring along.

Scott - N1JIN

Scott,

Thanks! Please call me to discuss details.

73, Bill W1AC
781-784-7287

Offline w1cgs

• Novice
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2007, 11:46:49 AM »
I can help with the testing,
I can bring a 'vintage' Cushman comm-monitor-generator and have some patch cables, dummy loads etc.
No 'good' watt meter except a RS vhf version.
But also some mutlimeters etc.
AND,
I'll hanging at the PRA tent anyway, so we can help as needed.

Offline kd1na

• General
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2007, 03:20:40 PM »
 :)

Anyone who helps out with the rig testing at the PRA tent will be offered a fine meal on the PRA. This is our way to say thanks for the help. MiKe and I have been cooking for the PRA at Hosstraders for many years and haven't had a dissatified customer yet.

Sandy, you are always welcome.

Dave KD1NA

Offline W1AC

• General
    • My home page
Let's decide on fees
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2007, 05:50:42 PM »
Fellow hams,

I've gotten an email from Mr. Mike: I had said that he was the one who'd decide what fee we'd charge, but he has told me it's up to me, so I'll ask for another round of discussion.

There are three options:

• Free
  • Contributions Welcome
  • Everybody Pays

I vote for the "Everybody Pays" option, but since I first posted, I've decided a more appropriate fee is $5.00. Since the money goes to the fest, I don't think hams will mind, but I'll go with the majority.

Bill, W1AC

Offline w1ia

• Novice
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2007, 01:20:35 AM »
[snip]
The people that volunteer as repair technicians should be professional enough that they don't harm either the test equipment or the customer's rig.

Dave KD1NA

Dave,

Damn, that's something else I should have thought of: should we require the customer to tune the rig? I'm certainly qualified to not harm the test equipment, but if someone claims we ruined their 30-year-old sweep tubes, I wouldn't know how to deal with that.

73, Bill

I am sorry Bill, but in theory this all sounds like a wonderfull idea, but I find the practicle application (transporting rigs, absence from selling table etc..) to be unreasonable. Buyer beware seems to be the norm. Unless the seller would be willing to "on-site" test with an approved and qualified technician, I find this idea far-fetched. Please understand I relish the idea you have purposed, but I believe that its the responsiblity of both the seller and the buyer to hash out the details.

In the past I have demonstrated  the operational condition of equipment I was selling to ensure that the buyer was happy; thus upon sale there was NO question as too the condition of the equipment being sold. If a seller is unwilling to plug in a piece of gear, then may I suggest you keep walking.

Brent W1IA

Offline W1AC

• General
    • My home page
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2007, 10:10:29 PM »
I am sorry Bill, but in theory this all sounds like a wonderfull idea, but I find the practicle application (transporting rigs, absence from selling table etc..) to be unreasonable. Buyer beware seems to be the norm. Unless the seller would be willing to "on-site" test with an approved and qualified technician, I find this idea far-fetched. Please understand I relish the idea you have purposed, but I believe that its the responsiblity of both the seller and the buyer to hash out the details.

In the past I have demonstrated  the operational condition of equipment I was selling to ensure that the buyer was happy; thus upon sale there was NO question as too the condition of the equipment being sold. If a seller is unwilling to plug in a piece of gear, then may I suggest you keep walking.

Brent W1IA

Brent,

You're right, it was a good idea that failed in practice  :-\

Mr. Mike and others voiced concerns about liability before the event, and I was anxious to avoid that problem, so the other volunteers and I had a lot of discussion both on and off-list about ways to avoid any issues. In the end, the situation didn't arrise - because I couldn't find the PRA tent where the testing was supposed to happen!  :-[

What I propose for the future is that the fest invite a commercial mobile repair shop to set up, just like any other vendor, and offer tests and repairs to those interested. That will solve all the liability/conflict-of-interest concerns, and give buyers the option of having their purchases shipped to them if repairs can't be done while they wait.

I'd like to see something available: at least an independent vendor if not an "official" service.

FWIW. YMMV.

73, Bill W1AC

Todd, KA1KAQ

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2007, 10:32:26 AM »
It does sound like a good idea, but the issues of liability can't be ignored. And as soon as you start asking for money in exchange, you invite it. "That rig worked fine when it left my table!" even if it's been dead for years.

There are outlets around the grounds. Keep it between the seller and buyer. Anyone who can't perform simple tests on a rig themselves before buying it probably shouldn't (or doesn't?) have a license.