Author Topic: Meet Our Two New Team Members  (Read 3342 times)

Offline W1RC

• NEAR-Fest Founder & Benevolent Dictator.
  • Administrator
  • Extra
Meet Our Two New Team Members
« on: July 14, 2008, 08:12:06 PM »
Hope everyone enjoyed their summer.  I see that we have less than two weeks to go until NEAR-Fest IV convenes on October 10th at 9:00AM! 

It's hard to believe that we're heading into our 4th hamfest.  Time has passed quickly and we have learned a lot. 

One of the things we have learned is that two of the "bureaus", Commercial Exhibits and Special Events involve a great deal of time and effort; indeed, too much for one person to handle.  Fortunately we have had a lot of folks volunteer their time and skills so we are not hampered by the lack of competent staff to make NEAR-Fest even better.  I have decided to split these departments into two functions and feel it is only fitting to  allow the two co-Chairs to decide who will do what. 

First of all I'd like to introduce my old friend from Freeport ME, John Goran, K1JJS, who has taken over as Manager of the Commercial Exhibits.  This position is probably one of the most labor and time intensive in the organization in that they will be working both before and during the 'Fest. 

Finally, I am equally happy to announce that another old friend, Bob DeVarney, W1ICW, from Milton VT will be joining our team and will take charge organizing and running the Forums at NEAR-Fest.  Todd Bigelow, KA1KAQ will continue to work on the "special events" side of things which will include organizing non-commercial displays and other such activities as we move towards NEAR-Fest V and beyond.  Todd will be relocating to the Raleigh NC area after NEAR-Fest IV where he and his XYL Jennifer have purchased a fine home with plenty of room for antennas.  Todd will be NEAR-Fest's official Ambassador in "Fo'-Land" and hopefully we will be able to attract more folks from the southeast to join us up here in "Yankee-Land".

Welcome aboard John and Bob!  NEAR-Fest is fortunate to have you both on the Team.

MisterMike, W1RC

Todd, KA1KAQ

Re: Meet Our Two New Team Mambers
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 08:39:12 PM »
I'd like to add my 'welcome' voice to the choir as well. I witnessed John helping out in May, he was on point and did a great job from all I saw. I'm sure Al is breathing a sigh of relief, his positions had not only a lot of tasks but a lot of area to cover.

Like Mike, I've known Bob for many years here in Vermont. His depth of knowledge and experience is exceeded only by his good nature and willingness to dive in for the betterment of all. Bob has experience from DC to Light I think, technical as well as design and construction. He brings a lot to the table. I know he will add greatly to the NEAR-Fest team in general, and to the Forums, Workshops, and Guest Speakers area in particular.