Author Topic: 95.1FM - The Pirate Ship @ NF Fall 2008  (Read 11976 times)

Offline K1WIZ

• Extra
    • Pirate Ship FM @ NearFest
95.1FM - The Pirate Ship @ NF Fall 2008
« on: July 25, 2008, 03:11:47 PM »
Hello all, on behalf of Adam and myself, I am pleased to announce that our Classic Vinyl show in the Spring was such a smashing success, that we will bring it back in October!  Yes! you read right:  there WILL be actual HUMAN BEINGS spinning vinyl records on TURNTABLES instead of pushing buttons and clicking a mouse! 
So get ready to tune in the warm sound of some classic rock, album cuts, and some good ol' 80s as we drop the needle in the cut once again.

Also, the NF Jam Session in the spring was such a huge success and we were able to bring it to the FM dial via our "WokFi" linkup to the entertainment building.  You can view pictures from our Spring setup including the Jam/WokFi that was in use to air the event live on 95.1FM:

We will likely use the same setup to link the Jam session back to our broadcast setup once again. 

We'd also like to take the opportunity to invite anyone who might be interested in doing a 1 hour show of their own live on 95.1.  If there is something you want to share, please feel free to reply to this thread and we'd be happy to discuss your ideas.

See you all in October.

PS: We were asked if we were planning to provide internet again in the fall.  Unfortunately, there only seemed to be enough bandwidth for our group, so unless that situation changes, we will only be running a closed system.  We might however, offer the use of a public access computer from which to check your personal email, websites, etc.   ;)

Offline Adam KB1MRJ

• Broadcast Crew
  • Extra
Re: 95.1FM - The Pirate Ship @ NF Fall 2008
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 02:52:15 PM »
Greetings Nearfesters!!!  John and I have been adding to our vinyl collections over the summer; so we will have no shortage of music to play.  See y'all bright and early on October 10th!

Regards,
Adam C.

Offline K1WIZ

• Extra
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 04:13:35 AM »
Just to give you a taste of the "Fono Flavor"....   !

this is what NearFesters get to enjoy on their FM Radios tuned to 95.1FM this Fall:

We even have old time radio commercials from back in the golden days of radio on vinyl.  Our Classic Vinyl Cuts show couldn't be better this time around!

Like in the spring, we'll signal the opening of the gates at 9AM sharp with the Song: Radio Waves, by Roger Waters off the Radio K.A.O.S. vinyl album!  Of course, we'll also air important announcements, information, memorials, and entertainment while you wait at the gates, so be sure to lock your dial on 95.1FM.  Be sure to download and print our radio program at: http://www.pirateshipradio.com/program.htm that way, if you're camping or staying overnight with us at NearFest IV, you'll know what to expect and won't miss some of our special program features this fall!

Yes, REAL HUMAN BEINGS spinning records on a radio near you!   :o

Offline W1RC

• NEAR-Fest Founder & Benevolent Dictator.
  • Administrator
  • Extra
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 10:53:40 AM »
John and Adam:

The "Boatanchors" enthusiasts among us will rejoice.  I along with many others were of the opinion that turntables and vinyl records went the way of the vacuum tube with the introduction of the compact disc and I am glad to see (and hear) that this is not the case.

The picture of the two turntables along side the computer and monitor are incongruous to say the least and it is most appropriate that  this the kind of thing you are going to see at NEAR-Fest!!!  It truly exemplifies what we are really all about.

MisterMike

Offline antiqueradiobuff

• General
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 02:07:47 PM »
howabout some good Ol Doo Wop  ;D
I only have doo wop on vinal  :o and many cds but perfer vinal

Offline K1WIZ

• Extra
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 03:05:59 PM »
The computer acts as our backup stereo encoder and also a backup programming source stuffed with digital media.

We use a setup involving 3 sound cards to receive live audio from the mixing console and generate a stereo pilot and MPX composite signal, which is then fed into the transmitter. 

Doo Wop is an interesting suggestion...  in fact if you have some of that stuff, consider bringing it to the fest and we'll make a copy for playback.  I'll also remind everyone that we have 4 hours of free radio on the program (see link toward end of my previous post) in case anyone is interested in hosting a show.  We'd love to get some more people involved to add their creative spin to the mix.

If anyone is interested, just step up to the plate by responding to this thread and we'll assign you one of the free radio hour time slots. ;D

As a reminder to those who camp out Thursday night: we will be on the air starting Thursday at 4PM.  Throughout Thursday evening, we'll serve up some "Fono Flavor", and when the sun goes down, some Old Time Radio drama, so at 9PM, turn the lights down low, gather 'round your radio, and "take a ride" back in time to the days of imagination as you get taken away into the stories that once made radio famous.

Offline DJFrederick

• Novice
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 12:02:16 PM »
I'm curious as to what on-air hours are available ... I have some great 45s old and new in the funk / soul / jazz / and ecclectic genres and would love to spin some tunes on the airwaves. I'm currently a DJ at low-power WSCS, Colby-Sawyer College.

Frederick

Offline K1WIZ

• Extra
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 01:17:12 PM »
Frederick,

Please see our current program schedule.  There are two 1 hour free radio slots available on Friday.  Should we have more interest from guest hosts, we'll add more.  Of course, our schedule can be flexed a bit.  If those hours don't work for you, feel free to make a suggestion and we'll put you on the official program.

View the program here: http://www.pirateshipradio.com/program.htm

To the gentleman suggesting Doo Wop: If you would like to host a show as well, you are invited to do the same.  Perhaps also include some commentary along with what you play, to give others more insight into the program content.

Sounds great, let's make it happen.  ;)

Offline Adam KB1MRJ

• Broadcast Crew
  • Extra
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 03:25:50 PM »
DJFrederick:

I'll make sure I have a couple of 45 adaptors on hand for your stuff.......A good friend of mine also went to Colby Sawyer and was heavily involved with WSCS.  Hope to see you there.

Also, we WILL have a single-disc CD deck on hand for those who need it.

John and I have both become 'Born-Again Vinyl Heads' since the last fest, so due to some upgraded equipment, our sound will be even better this time around!  We also devised a solution for the P.A./announcement/mike swapping issues we had last time, so everything is as golden as we know how to make it.

Hope everyone tunes in!!!

Offline W1RC

• NEAR-Fest Founder & Benevolent Dictator.
  • Administrator
  • Extra
95.1FM - The Pirate Ship @ NF Fall 2008 Official Schedule & Program Guide
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 02:19:22 AM »
You'll find it all right here:

http://www.pirateshipradio.com/program.htm

Also some interesting "Editorials" from John:

http://news.wizworks.net/

Yeah, way to go!

MisterMike

Offline n1vev

• Novice
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 10:14:41 AM »
SEE YOU AT NEAR-FestFrom Big Will N1VEVOFNEAR-Fest Radio 88.1 FM

Offline DJFrederick

• Novice
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008, 01:24:57 PM »
Sounds great! My plan is to cover some / most of the time on Friday afternoon between 5 and 7 pm. I'll bring a box of 45s / 7" vinyl to spin, mostly obscure funk, soul, with some classic rock and who-knows-what thrown in!

Offline K1WIZ

• Extra
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2008, 02:59:57 PM »
DJ Frederick,

Please be sure to clean your vinyl before playing it on our instruments.  You may also bring your own vinyl cleaning kit as well.  I will have one, but it is for use on my records only.

Thanks for understanding. 

We look forward to what you bring to the broadcast.

See you there!  ;-)

Offline K1WIZ

• Extra
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2008, 06:38:07 PM »
On behalf of the Pirate Ship Radio crew, I wish to thank those who made our broadcast the success it was:

1) The NearFest Team for hosting our efforts
2) Adam - for all the hard work and dedication in helping me pull it all together.
3) Tom Sommers - for lending us your signal processor and all the extra help and engineering to keep our signal "compliant".
4) DJ Frederick - for the excellent guest show he did on our free radio hour
5) Chris - for guesting on our station as well.
6) Ken Blair - for helping us with administrative duties as we worked to pass information and run the drawings.
7) the members of the Jam Band - for their excellent talent and permission to broadcast their performance.
8 ) All of our listening audience - without whom, we'd not have a purpose.  We truly hope you all enjoyed what we brought to your radios this fall.  We welcome any comments, suggestions - good or bad and would like to open up our programming to allow for more guest hosts on the station!  If you're interested, please let us know and we'll be happy to have you host your own program.

Thank you all and though we worked tirelessly to bring this all to you, we had a very good time sharing our piece of this fest with you all.

Warm Regards,

- John, N1WIL

KB1NBN

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2008, 02:51:45 AM »
John,

Thanks for letting me DJ on your station. Had lots of fun!

Chris