Author Topic: what to bring  (Read 7642 times)

Offline antiqueradiobuff

• General
what to bring
« on: September 14, 2008, 02:02:47 PM »
 ::) I have some books  that are ok I  also have many radios and phonograph stuff that I can bring
i need a list of do and don't of bringing stuff this is the only way i can get ready for this fablous event
Hope some of you members can help a new guy
I also hpe to purchase a ham radio maybe getting in to this later on in life
sincerely
William J Shenette Sr

Offline N1FU

• General
Re: what to bring
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 06:01:42 PM »
I say bring it all. I have purchased some very odd stuff not even closely radio related at hamfests. And I have seen just as many other people walking around with non related hamstuff. Recently at hamfests I have bought a large wet/dry vacuum. Bull/steer horns. Very old smoking pipe. Air Ionizer. Traffic light. And countless other items... I am sure other people can name some some of the "other stuff" that they have purchased at hamfests... Just my opinion But I say if you got it,bring it....

Offline antiqueradiobuff

• General
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 01:07:10 AM »
I will have to ask Mr Mike I do not what to be shunned from the show I read some rules how some persons are embarressed if they bring something Non Electronic
and I am a stright foreward heart broken guy very easy
if i like this show and do well i will be comming back
I just do not want to be embarrassed out ::) :) ;)

Offline W1RC

• NEAR-Fest Founder & Benevolent Dictator.
  • Administrator
  • Extra
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 10:18:33 PM »
I will have to ask Mr Mike I do not what to be shunned from the show I read some rules how some persons are embarrassed if they bring something Non Electronic
and I am a straight forward heart broken guy very easy
if i like this show and do well i will be coming back
I just do not want to be embarrassed out ::) :) ;)
We are not zealots stating that EVERYTHING on your table has to be electronic or we flip out.  What we don't want is a table full of the wife's artsy/craftsy cutsey stuff or kitchen junk and garage sale crap in general.   Your items for sale have to be predominantly electronic or electrical in nature.  Books and magazines are OK.  What do you have in mind?

MisterMike

Offline antiqueradiobuff

• General
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 01:34:58 AM »
 ::) well lets see here a few antique phonographs  I have one crank up and one wooden cased phono if they will fit I only have a car so I may take pictures and put prices not sure yet .,one tv if i could fit it its a 1960 i think .I assure anything I deal with is not crafts or house hold junk I love my electronics things radios and or some vintage books as stated before.

I have an all bakelite phonograph all these things need work However there maybe a few old drive-in speakers and maybe a few reels that the film went on I will do my best to

Offline Nat

• General
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 03:26:35 PM »
Whatever doesn't sell take home with you is all I can add.

My wife does enjoy seeing some other stuff not necessarily radio related, but I suspect beenie baby collections might be cause for alarm!

73 and see you there!!

Nat

Todd, KA1KAQ

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 05:28:33 PM »
William, it sounds like your stuff will fit right in. Old radios, antique tube-type table top TVs, phonographs, we've seen this type of gear at nearly every event. What we don't want people to do is think they can use the event as a means of dumping their old broken down (or soon-to-be-obsolete) Sony TV set, old computer monitors, microwave ovens or such. That's a quick way to get banned for life.

And as Mike says - if it's a table full of crafts, beanie-babies, or other non-radio stuff you're looking to sell, we'd strongly suggest you take it to an actual flea market where you'd be more likely to find a buyer. People attending NEAR-Fest don't want lawn ornaments or pot holders, they want radio/vintage gear/electronics type stuff. Nobody is going to even notice, muchless care if you have an old rolling pin sitting in the middle of your table full of radio gear. It's the non-radio/electronics tables that look out of place and get noticed as a result. Bringing an old car radio and a load of used clothing to sell won't cut it.

Keeping the event free of such junk is what keeps it interesting and attractive to folks - especially the ones who come from states like Ohio, Maryland, Virginia, Florida - even California. Many come down from Canada as well. Your collection will be a welcome addition. I have a couple of antique Motorola TVs in nice wooden cabinets with the 6" screens and love 'em. After all, TV is really just radio with pictures.

And as Nat reminds us - if you don't sell it, take it home. Keeping the place inviting, then leaving it as clean as we found it is the recipe for success.

Offline antiqueradiobuff

• General
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 10:09:33 PM »
todd

All I like to deal with is Vintage electronics and crank up phonos and some solid state phonos as well as tube phonos i like to deal with radios mostly tube and very little 60s radios looking foreward to seein ya there I must book my holtel room soon
I hope there will be guys staying atn the same hotel so i can follow someone back to the fair grounds because I get angry with my self because I get lost very easy :'(

Offline antiqueradiobuff

• General
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 12:28:20 AM »
will this be ok to sell if i can get it in to the car better still I like to put a sighn on my table for sale 40.00 or B/O what can i really get for this set? pics below
if i can find a better face pic of the tv i will post it
thanks

Offline K1NOK

• Novice
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 08:59:37 PM »
So, let's hear from all of you relative to what you're bringing. A few items that I plan to bring are a

Collins 32V-1 completely refurbished
a Omni DX-88 vertical
a AEA Iso loop antenna
a Yaesu Watt mtr and dummy load combo
a VX-3R ( Like New)

Good wx too!

and about a 100 other items. I am looking for a
Specturm Analyzer reasonably  priced.

Bob, K1NOK

Offline antiqueradiobuff

• General
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 09:33:06 PM »
 ::) ??? well I have those vintage books / magazines a few tube radios maybe a radioshack stero  needs speakkers parts or repair possibleon that  not sure about this one yet.  Tube radios differnt types maybe some test equiptment and a euro radio needs restoration other than that maybe a pic or pictures of that tv I like to get 40.00 for itbut willing to take 30.00 other stuff I have a antique all bakelite radio/phono needs restoration

Todd, KA1KAQ

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2008, 08:33:07 PM »
It all looks and sounds fine to me. You can't sell it if you don't bring it, and this is the event to sell it at. ;)

What you can get is no more or less than someone is willing to pay at the time. I tended to price my stuff a bit higher than what I expected to get and added 'Or Best Offer'. If you have stuff you want to move and not haul back home, price it accordingly. Working condition plays a bit of a role in what you can expect to get also.

Offline antiqueradiobuff

• General
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2008, 10:36:12 PM »
yes I agree I just finished my rca it needs a filter can caps just for safty because the filter can is as old as the radios its self so for precaution ya get my drift other than that it plays wonderfuly well at least thats what I think its plays good to me.I have some Old 1957 mags have to get $2 on them because if they do not sell here i can take them to my nearc club in manchester at the manchester Bingo Hall 
www.nearc.net

chat soon and god bless all my friends here I am Happy I found this wonderful place who knows maybe some day ill get my ham lic and a nice radio