Author Topic: A Trip Down Memory Lane  (Read 6046 times)

Offline W1RC

• NEAR-Fest Founder & Benevolent Dictator.
  • Administrator
  • Extra
A Trip Down Memory Lane
« on: September 24, 2008, 12:39:08 PM »
I found a few old hamfest flyers from the late 1970s and early 1980s.  I scanned them and posted them here:

http://near-fest.com/index.php?topic=363.msg1127#msg1127

Remember these?  I do.

Enjoy!

MisterMike

Offline Nat

• General
Re: A Trip Down Memory Lane
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 05:37:56 PM »
Hey Mike,

That was certainly an interesting trip into the past. Thank goodness the cartography has improved since then!

Does anyone remember the fleamarket that was held at the Manchester NH airport?

73 and see you in 15 days!

Nat

Offline W1RC

• Administrator
  • Extra
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 10:09:47 PM »
Does anyone remember the fleamarket that was held at the Manchester NH airport?
When was that?  I don't remember that one.

Offline W1JS

• Advanced
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 04:02:28 PM »
I remember the first Hosstraders at Deerfield, as it was my first one.  My ex came with me and she was very pregnant with my now 31 year old son (!).  Somewhere in my archives I have the photos to prove it.  I was at a Framingham fest with one of the boys (now 28 & 31) in a back pack carrier (which I did not use because it was so crowded in there I was afraid of hurting someone).  I did attend at least one at the Manchester Airport and remember it being pretty hot on the pavement.   Anyone remember the flea markets held at King Ridge ski area in New London, NH? 

Offline Nat

• General
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 05:36:29 PM »
With regard to the Manchester airport flea, it was some time in the early 80's. It was a one off. I never heard about it again. I would suggest that it was around 1981,1982. I was a teenager then and I hitched a ride up with another ham. Sorry to be so foggy.

Regards,

Nat

Todd, KA1KAQ

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 07:17:06 PM »
 Anyone remember the flea markets held at King Ridge ski area in New London, NH? 

That one just ended sometime in the last 10 years or so, didn't it Jack? I remember some confusion over the name King Ridge or King Hill Ridge or King Hill. Wonder if that ever got sorted out? Never made the 'fest, it was in August IIRC and I was always busy.

Still have most of my old Deerfield Hosstraders tickets back to sometime in the late 80s. The remember they used a very 'Deco' looking font on the tickets, like something you'd see in an old movie theater lobby.

Offline W1JS

• Advanced
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 08:24:09 PM »
King Ridge - a "lost" NH ski area:

http://www.nelsap.org/nh/kingridge.html

put on by the Connecticut Valley FM Association (Ascutney Repeater)

It was small, but with a great view.  I went to at least 2, maybe 3... 

It's been more than 10 years.  I remember bringing one of the boys there for I think the last time I went and he got sick on the way there.  He was prettty young, so guess we talking about mid eighties. 

Here are some fun photos of blasts of the past (you will have to excuse the shot of the hot air balloon that landed in my yard...):

http://www.geocities.com/j_sheehyconknetcom/Hosstraders_past.html

Offline W1RC

• Administrator
  • Extra
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 01:05:21 AM »
put on by the Connecticut Valley FM Association (Ascutney Repeater)

It's been more than 10 years.  I remember bringing one of the boys there for I think the last time I went and he got sick on the way there.  He was prettty young, so guess we talking about mid eighties. 

I was there two or three times. and it seems to me that it ended in the early 1980s.  Last time I went with Tony WB2BEJ and remember buying my Millen Junior Matchbox there which I still have.  I haven't seen one since.  Used to be Exit 10 off I-89 marked "Kings Ridge Road".  The sign was changed several years ago to where it now reads "Kings Hill Road".  So all traces of Kings Ridge seem to have been expunged.

Kinda sad................

MrMike