Author Topic: The Near-Fest Jam V  (Read 6335 times)

Offline Bri

• House Band mis-leader
  • Extra
  • Boogie till you puke
The Near-Fest Jam V
« on: April 16, 2009, 01:16:35 AM »
Fiends, Romulans' Comfy lovers..... wait; that's not right.

Friends Romans and countrymen, lend me your cauliflower ear.

The Jam is taking shape.
Here are some of the particulars.

After soliciting input from players and listeners alike I've come up with our format for the jam.
To be honest I would have liked more input, but...... it didn't come. So be it.

The jam will take place in the Entertainment building. I'll start the jam sometime between 8 and 9pm Friday night depending on when the room is vacated and how long it takes to set up.

Some of the players got together over the winter a few times to work out a few songs.
That un-named band will open with a 3 to 4 song set.
After the set I'll invite other bands, trios, and duo's up to play a short set.
If no bands steps up, we will open it to an open jam format. As long as the jam is moving in a musical direction (loosely defined), It'll continue. If it bogs down in 40 verses of louie louie, I'll bring the song to an end and the un-named band will do another  3 to 4 song set to get back on track. Every now and then I or other players may do a solo song while someone else sets up. Please have the presence of mind to sit out and give other players a chance to play. Or maybe lend some backup vocal, percussion, etc.

Rinse and repeat till our fingers bleed, we develop polyps on our throat, or we drop.
There is no set time to end the jam. It could go till 12 or it could go till 4am

General Info:
Bring your own instrument and amp unless you've made plans to borrow from someone else.
On the subject of amps. It's not a big space; 30-50 watt amps will fill the place. I won't stop anyone from bringing their 8000 Jigawatt amp but if I see blood from ears or someone plays the brown note in their pants, I'll shut you down. Besides we want to hear all the players.
I believe there'll be an acoustic drum kit this time. I hope to confirm this soon.
How about horn players??
We could really use some female lead/backup singers and keyboards. Step up and be heard!!

There is no storage for equipment before or after the jam.
Also, bring a little extra stuff in case a fellow musician forgot. Like mic, instrument cables, picks, capo, a throne for keyboard players/ drummers, power strips, etc.
Please let me know what equipment your bringing so I can work logistics. Again, 16 cowbells and no sticks to hit them with.
Can I get a witness for "more cowbell"?

John and Adam will bring the music to you on your FM dial (95.1) in Glorious Technicolor Dolby 60.1 surround full release massage via the famous Wok-Fi! I love those guys.

I hope we can get Ben and his gracious family to bring and run sound. His expertise and equipment brought last years jam up to a new level. Please be kind enough to come early and stay late to help us set up and break down.
No Prima Donnas please.

If you bring lyrics/chord sheets of songs you want to play, consider bringing enough for say 3 and make sure they can be read from a 2 or 3 foot distance. Times new roman at 14 pts won't cut it.

Musicians need to remove their equipment right after the jam ends. The building needs to be put back in order and locked. No equipment will be allowed to stay in the building overnight.

I'll be adding to this post so check back every now and then.

I'm looking forward to hearing, playing and talking to you all at the jam and Fest.

As Ever,

Bri

For more info look at the posts of previous jams.
or email me: bshaban@verizon.net
The only thing to fear is fear itself.....and crazy bat-shit people. We should really fear crazy bat-shit people.

Offline W1VFB

• Extra
Re: The Near-Fest Jam V
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 12:08:35 PM »
Brian and all NEAR-Fest Jammers,

I regret to inform you that I will not participating in this years Jam.  Timing and prior commitments will not allow me to attend.  I will be coming to the Fest on Friday but will not be able to stay overnight to attend.  I did have a great time last fall and was planning to stay but again prior commitments won't allow.

To all those who have thought about being there, don't think about it.  DO IT!!  It's a great time with great people.  Brian and the gang put on a great time.  Whether you there just to listen or to play with the group, it's all a lot of fun.

Brian I hope to see you sometime during Friday.  If not have a great Jam and good luck.

Greg
W1VFB     73
Catch ya!!
Greg
W1VFB  73

Offline Bri

• House Band mis-leader
  • Extra
  • Boogie till you puke
Re: The Near-Fest Jam V Update
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 05:59:31 PM »
It's too bad you can't make the jam Greg; We will surely miss your skills.
I'm hoping Adam will be there with his keyboard and drum chops.

I'm getting all my stuff together and making a mental note as to what accessories to bring besides the usual fray.

spare mic and instrument cables, 9 volt batteries, music stand, etc.
Wed. I'll put new string on my guitar and check the intonation.

See you Friday,

Bri

The only thing to fear is fear itself.....and crazy bat-shit people. We should really fear crazy bat-shit people.

Offline Adam KB1MRJ

• Broadcast Crew
  • Extra
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 04:23:01 AM »
Hey Guys,
Yes I'll be at the jam! I have a new keyboard to break in as well Looking forward to it!

Offline W1VFB

• Extra
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 09:57:09 PM »
Bri,
Where are you going to be during the day so I can check in with you just to say HI !  I have to say that the way things are looking right now I'll be there for the fall show.  Can't say positively but a very good chance

Also Adam, I'll stop by the Relaxation Grove to say HI and see your new keyboard.

I will really miss the Jam this spring but like the new saying of the 21st century, IT IS WHAT IT IS.

Catch ya at NEAR-fest!!
Catch ya!!
Greg
W1VFB  73

Offline KB1NZN

• Administrator
  • Extra
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 04:48:28 AM »
Hi Guys:

I talked to Bri the other day on the phone, and realized that I should have checked this board before now.

But be warned!! I am coming and bringing about twice as much sound equipment as last year (so I *maybe* can say I lent something useful to the jam, since I don't have any "real" skills!! ;D)

Seriously though, really looking forward to it. See you all then!

-Ben

Offline Bri

• House Band mis-leader
  • Extra
  • Boogie till you puke
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 08:28:09 AM »
I don't think we'll have real drums this time.
I've got an electronic kit just in case.

See you in a few.

Bri

Offline W1VFB

• Extra
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 12:19:03 PM »
I hope all of you had a great Jam.  It sounded like Bri had it together and planned a great session.  I talked to several of the players and they were excited about the new format.  Also I hope that ALL of the muscians show up at NEAR-Fest joined in and created a special Jam. 
Good to see you again Bri.  Unfortunately, I will not be able to make the fall Fest so maybe we'll see you again next spring. ;D
Catch ya!!
Greg
W1VFB  73

Offline Adam KB1MRJ

• Broadcast Crew
  • Extra
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009, 01:33:58 AM »
THANKS EVERYONE!!  I had an awesome time playing at the jam!!  The lights were a great touch, the players were on their game, and best of all, the PA worked out great this time.  Now, we were competing with a nice acoustic drum kit, and while loud, was sooo much better than using an electronic kit.  Besides, I know I'm guilty of bashing those drums to death too!!  It was a whole lotta fun, and I'll be there in October!!