Author Topic: Weather - Don't Believe The Forecasts!!!!!  (Read 5141 times)

Offline W1RC

• NEAR-Fest Founder & Benevolent Dictator.
  • Administrator
  • Extra
Weather - Don't Believe The Forecasts!!!!!
« on: October 12, 2010, 11:33:25 AM »
Three days to go!!!!!

I have been reading posts and hearing on the air QSOs about the weather forecasts for Deerfield this coming weekend.  Many are bemoaning the possibility of rain and heavy winds.

Don't buy it!   Forecasts are simply an INDICATION of what MIGHT happen.  They are merely an EDUCATED GUESS.   

Last Fall the weather forecast for Saturday was particularly horrible and indeed it was all around us but at Deerfield it was fine.  Yes, it was damned cold on Friday but heck, this is New England.  Even if it does rain, come anyways.  We'll be there no matter what.  By the way, there is no rain date.

How many of you remember Hosstraders at Rochester 1993 - 2000?  We went there sixteen times in eight years.  I think of the 32 days we were there the wx was nice on only four of them.  We still refer to it as "Rainchester".  BUT WE STILL HAD FUN!

Statistically we are definitely going to have some rainy days - but thus far in the seven events we've convened the wx has been pretty cooperative and let's hope this will continue.  This is the point - even if it rains we're from the Northeast and we're not a bunch of wusses..... or are we? 

Take my advice and don't even look at the weather forecasts.  There's nothing we can do about it anyways.  Just pack your stuff and come up to Deerfield ready to party and swap stuff and stories with your old friends and perhaps make some new ones.

After all, isn't this what we look forward to all these months since the last one?

I don't want to hear any more pissing and moaning about the weather forecasts which are just as likely to be wrong as they are to be right.

Mister Mike, W1RC

Offline ab1gf

• Technician
Re: Weather - Don't Believe The Forecasts!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 09:16:21 PM »
I will be there with tower stock in tow.
Tom  ab1gf   http://towerczar.info

Offline Bri

• House Band mis-leader
  • Extra
  • Boogie till you puke
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 12:19:34 PM »
Festers,
I'm here now at the fairgrounds and the major rain is over.
Yeah there will be some showers during the day but the major rain is over!!
It'll only get better as the day goes on.

Get your butts here and sell me some musical instruments/stereo equipment!!

Bri
The only thing to fear is fear itself.....and crazy bat-shit people. We should really fear crazy bat-shit people.

Offline KB1ODL

• Novice
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 01:06:50 PM »
how is the Weather up there? Sun out in southern Mass

Offline w1es

• General
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 06:24:56 PM »
This was one of the reasons that has driven my decision to try for the spring ones instead - the third weekend in October just has the potential of being too damn cold to begin with (yeah - I know: y'all are used to it, but I'm not anymore ;-)  ).  Add a storm and it's unbearable to me.

Here in the South, we do our big fest on Labor Day weekend (Shelby) and you're very likely to be seeing 90+ degrees.  even if it rains, it'll probably not go below 70.

I hope to see as many of you as possible in the Spring edition.  Early May is usually (but not always) alright up there, weather-wise.  I still miss it - even with the crappy weather you're having.

Stay warm, folks, and see you in May!

Steve, W1ES/4

Offline N1GNV

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 03:31:51 PM »
Just once before I die, I want to go to NEAR-fest and complain about the heat.   ;)

Kudos, as always, to Mr. Mike and the team.  Great job, and a great time.  It was wonderful to see so many good friends.

73, John Bee, N1GNV
Quicksilver Radio
www.qsradio.com

Offline ve2cvj

• Novice
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 12:58:24 PM »
thanks to the hamfest gang, another good nearfest, we had a very good time
and found very good bargains. It was nice to see all of you.

see you in the spring

73's