Author Topic: Prepayment of Tickets and Passes - Please Read!  (Read 10609 times)

Offline ReMine

• Technician
Re: Prepayment of Tickets and Passes - Please Read!
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2007, 02:32:42 AM »

I hope to have the online ticketing system up and running soon.  Payment will be through PayPal and and thus Visa and MasterCard.  However I am not sure when this will be available.  Also consider that we have to pay PayPal a fee which will be about .75 a transaction and although it seems like a reasonable amount to pay (and it is) it is a lot when it adds up over several hundred transactions. 

We have not worked out whether we will issue "E-Tickets" by e-mail or simply operate on a "will call" basis and have them at the gate. We will mail bulk orders out as soon as they are printed.  Yes, we need money for that too!

Could you clarify the status of the online ticketing system? I for one prefer to deal online, mainly because I rarely ever use the postal system and I like the instant assurance the internet can provide that my order went through and I'm all set and don't have to worry about it anymore. I totally understand the paypal fees concern, but I would certainly be willing to pay a small fee for the convenience of ordering online. Even if I had to resort to the postal system, I still would be paying for a stamp, so why not a few cents more? I know I would gladly pay around the $1 range to cover the fees associated with paypal, and I'm pretty sure most everyone else would as well.

Thanks for organizing this event- I went to HOSStraders last year and fell in love with the scene. Thanks for picking up where they left off and carrying the banner!

Offline W1RC

• NEAR-Fest Founder & Benevolent Dictator.
  • Administrator
  • Extra
Re: Prepayment of Tickets and Passes - Please Read!
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2007, 10:25:25 AM »
I am still trying to get PayPal set up.  Hopefully I can get it squared away this week.  It's not the same as it is for a private individual.

I have been learning that with regards to transactions that involve advance payment for a future event such as a concert or even NEAR-Fest there are issues concerning potential for fraud that credit card and on-line ticketing services look at.  The on-line ticketing services hold back the payment until after the event has been held which defeats the entire purpose here.

We have been very successful in raising ALL the costs for NEAR-Fest I thanks to the members of the New England and Northeast US and Canada amateur radio community.  If we are blessed with nice weather on the 4th and 5th we expect to be well financed for NEAR-Fest II in October and beyond. 

We had such short notice and didn't want to miss the May event and I decided to offer an incentive for people to pay early.  I don't want to focus so much on pre-selling tickets and passes but on new activities and events in addition to the flea market.

We thank everyone who placed their confidence in us and sent their payment early.  We promise you won't be disappointed.

MrMike, W1RC

Could you clarify the status of the online ticketing system? I for one prefer to deal online, mainly because I rarely ever use the postal system and I like the instant assurance the internet can provide that my order went through and I'm all set and don't have to worry about it anymore. I totally understand the paypal fees concern, but I would certainly be willing to pay a small fee for the convenience of ordering online. Even if I had to resort to the postal system, I still would be paying for a stamp, so why not a few cents more? I know I would gladly pay around the $1 range to cover the fees associated with paypal, and I'm pretty sure most everyone else would as well.

Thanks for organizing this event- I went to HOSStraders last year and fell in love with the scene. Thanks for picking up where they left off and carrying the banner!