Author Topic: What More Can Go Wrong????  (Read 2917 times)

Offline W1RC

• NEAR-Fest Founder & Benevolent Dictator.
  • Administrator
  • Extra
What More Can Go Wrong????
« on: May 26, 2011, 10:59:50 AM »
Just read a report of an event of horrific proportions that occurred at the Dayton Hamvention this year:

WARNING: Gross and disgusting images!!!!  http://www.hamsexy.com/cms/?p=1081

Video:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrL2xFPAyS4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhPiX-yNnuQ&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKSD00ii6R8&NR=1

I mean, short of a Joplin-style tornado touching down what could be worse than that?

From what I understand this isn't the first time this kind of thing happened at HAMVENTION.  My friend "Johnny Novice"  W3JN described the earlier event as follows: "About ten years ago there was a portable trailer near that rear ramp to Hara Arena, had about 15 shitters in it and it backed up.  Sent shit floating down the flea market and the health department was gonna close the hamfest."

Then the 2011 version which just occurred and, from what I read, was far worse.

I stopped going to Dayton around 2000.  The journey became tiresome and it seemed every year Dayton became further away.  Pennsylvania also seemed to get bigger every time we drove across it.  The Hara Arena was in bad shape even back then.  The parking lot was filled with potholes and looked like a mine field.  From what I understand the owners of the facility are unwilling to spend anything for maintenance that isn't absolutely essential and rumor is they have would like to sell out to property developers but the housing slump has delayed this move.  Other than Hamvention and some gun show not much else happens there.  In any event the tired and old Dayton Hamvention remains at the location where it's been since the early 1950s because there does not appear any other place in the Dayton area it can go.

In my opinion the Dayton Hamvention needs a complete make-over including a new venue, preferably somewhere other than Dayton Ohio.

I just can't imaging anything like this happening at Deerfield.  We are fortunate to have an outstanding maintenance crew who take good care of the grounds.  John and his team are the best. 

MrMike

Offline N1ZZN

• General
Re: What More Can Go Wrong????
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 06:21:33 PM »
As someone that was there, I can say that I very much enjoyed my time at Dayton despite this. Unless you were one of the ones that had their equipment damaged by the sewerage, everyone just dealt with it. Yeah, it was a bit gross, but it kept most everyone that I ran into laughing, not angry. The bathrooms were not completely shut down, only those that were around the main arena.

This was my 5th Dayton, and I probably had more fun this time than at any in the past. I don't go to Dayton expecting it to be held in a 5 star convention center.

Offline W1RC

• NEAR-Fest Founder & Benevolent Dictator.
  • Administrator
  • Extra
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 10:43:36 AM »
I'm not saying that people shouldn't go to Dayton.  It is what it is.  I used to go every year for a long time but for assorted reasons stopped in 2001.  It was fun but very intense. 

This isn't the first time this kind of thing happened there.  All I know is that if it happened at Deerfield I'd be very surprised and embarassed.

MrMike

Todd, KA1KAQ

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 07:32:38 PM »
  All I know is that if it happened at Deerfield I'd be very surprised and embarassed.

And maybe hyellafied too, in the true sense of the word.  ;)

Offline antiqueradiobuff

• General
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 11:01:59 PM »
well Mr Mike I am happy we have the restrooms that we do Thanks to the deerfiels fair  grounds.
 ;D