Author Topic: You Think WE Have Rules? Read the Flea Market Rules for the Dayton Hamvention!!  (Read 8986 times)

Offline W1RC

• NEAR-Fest Founder & Benevolent Dictator.
  • Administrator
  • Extra
Check out these rules then tell me that ours are restrictive!  What the Hell are you allowed to do at Dayton?  Geez!

I guess NEAR-Fest isn't so tough after all.

MrMike (haven't been to Hamvention since 2000 and haven't missed it.)

2007 DAYTON HAMVENTION

n1wil

While I believe the rules established for NearFest are more than fair, It really pisses me off to see that an organization such as Hamvention enforces much unreasonable restrictions on it's attendees, and apparently seems to interfere with established basic consumer rights concerning food, personal handicap assistive vehicles, etc. 

Having been informed of such insanity, I would call upon ALL hams to BOYCOTT their show!  If nobody attends, they lose - period.  Organization such as these need to start understanding that it is the ATTENDEES who ultimately make a show happen in the first place!  Just like in any element of the commercial world, it is the MARKET which sets the price of goods and services, and desired trends in fashion and style. 

Why people are so willing to put up with idiotic restriction such as those is BEYOND my comprehension, but I can certainly say this: if an organized boycott of Hamvention were to occur - they would either be ended up on their ears or forced to change and relax those restrictions REAL quick!

Just my .02 worth.

Offline W1MRN

• Technician
My question would be how many of those rules are from the Dayton Convention Complex, and how many are from the Hamvention organizers?  Just as Deerfield has required certain rules the Complex probably has as well.  I don't think it would be fair to slam the Hamvention organizers until I knew how many of those rules they actually have a say over.

Offline W1RC

• NEAR-Fest Founder & Benevolent Dictator.
  • Administrator
  • Extra
I am sure the Hamvention organizers are in the same position.  Hamvention is a much larger event that draws over 20,000 attendees.  NEAR-Fest itself has far fewer rules since we assume that everyone attending is a reasonable and sensible adult and we will treat everyone as such unless they show themselves to be otherwise.

The dictates of the venue administration are considered conditions of use and are contractual items.  They were stated up front in writing and we agreed to them when we signed the contract.  I posted the Dayton rules to illustrate that in comparision we have relatively few rules.  We hope that everyone attending will use common sense which will ensure we will be welcome back for as long as we wish to be here.

MrMike

My question would be how many of those rules are from the Dayton Convention Complex, and how many are from the Hamvention organizers?  Just as Deerfield has required certain rules the Complex probably has as well.  I don't think it would be fair to slam the Hamvention organizers until I knew how many of those rules they actually have a say over.

KB1NBN

WOW.....
Thats kinda harsh, isnt it?   :-\

Offline WZ1L

• Technician
Hi there.

Just thought I would chime in on this one.

For the past 10 years, the rules have become more formal since the HAMVENTION has been running.

I remember when you parked your car in a cow pasture behind the Flea-Market space and when in rained, you had to pay dearly to get your car out of the mud.

At the time I did attend, the motels/hotels were taking credit card guarantees the last day of the HAMVENTION so that you didn't need to call in January to see if they had any openings.  It was a nightmare!!!!

They had free buses to take you to the Convention Dinner on Saturday night and would pick up at most hotels and carry you from the motel to the HAMVENTION and back free.  Again, too many people felt they wanted to get closer, so they took 90% of the closest Mall's parking, thus pissing off the Mall's Vendors. 

Now, you have to pay before you get on, they guarantee a return trip.  Thing is, don't wait until 5pm Friday or Saturday to get on the last bus.  LOL.... You'll be sitting with about 300+ individuals.

Campers and Tent dewllers, well yeah they have them at the KOA Campground.  Think again about making your reservations early....  I heard last year they had to turn away business as there were too many campers and not enough spots.

The tickets you purchase are good from Friday though Sunday.  Too bad if you have to leave early on your flight and no friends behind to watch out for you.  If you do win the "BIG PRIZE", they will mail it to you, but the amount of grief you have to put up with after it arrives, I understand, it would be worth the extra night in Dayton to make sure your prize got home safely.

Just one other comment, you would think that DELTA and U.S. AIR are big enough airlines to get a 737 or something into Covington, Kentucky, they should be able to get into Dayton.  That fly by night airlines, COMM-AIR is something else, 12 passengers and PROPS....   Geesh, and traveling in a thundershower, I didn't think I let go of the seat armrests until we landed in Covington.  By then the DELTA flight I was to catch to BOSTON was grounded for 2 hours putting us in to BOSTON 2 hours late, the last Airport Bus to my location gone, and well, it was tough spending the night at the airport until 5am when the first Airport Bus arrived and I could at least find a seat.  :)

I don't think your rules Mike were anything unrealistic.  You were fair and followed the rules.  I am sorry the Fairground Committee were so demading, but the rules were followed as well as could be expected.  Thanks to all who were thoughtful to the rules and see you in October.   ;D

THANK YOU MR. MIKE

BILLP, WZ1L