Author Topic: NEAR-Fest I Friday Night "Jam Session" Discussion & Coordination!  (Read 20978 times)

Offline N1ZZN

• General
Re: NEAR-Fest I Friday Night "Jam Session" Discussion & Coordination!
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2007, 11:42:03 PM »
That is a very good point. I've been hearing that same thing from a lot of people that I know that are going too. If there's going to be these huge speakers set up, outdoors on a stage, a lot of people are not going to be happy. Rochester was good, since everything was contained in a building.

Hopefully it will stay under control so that we'll be invited back in the fall!

Offline HenryB

• Novice
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2007, 05:08:08 AM »
The way it was done at Rochester was the way to go-it was in the exam building and shut down at midnight. Remember those who do want to get some rest! And remember next fall-we want to be there.

K1WCC

Offline W1RC

• NEAR-Fest Founder & Benevolent Dictator.
  • Administrator
  • Extra
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2007, 05:19:03 AM »
This NEAR-Fest we will have to do it outside.  The only buildings we have available are the commercial exhibits and they are locked at night (time to be determined).  We will probably use the Show Stage area which is off to the side of the Fairgrounds and make noise if we wish as there are literally no neighbors to piss and moan.  There are a couple of options and if you have any ideas please feel free to discuss them with our Director of On-Site Communications, Timothy M Smith, Esq.

TWO DAYS TO GO!!!!  YAY!!!!

MisterMike

n1wil

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2007, 09:20:25 AM »
Unfortunately, I was not able to get the length of cable necessary for the long balanced XLR run.  If anyone has something like this, feel free to bring it, else I guess we should do a wireless pickup for this time.  Maybe by Fall I'll have the cable.

I'll still bring the 800 Watt amp and speakers though.

Todd, KA1KAQ

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2007, 10:40:39 AM »
Where is the "jam session" going to be? This will allow myself and others who may want to sleep to set up as far away as possible though in some respects I'm not sure why I should have to move to the outback, I paid for a ticket too.
I think that if we are trying to get established here that noise volume and lateness should be restrained for the neighbors and festees that don't want to party half the night. Everything in moderation.

Absolutely. We've actually discussed this a few times and decided that the midnight cut off is the way to go for the reasons mentioned above. Despite not having neighbors to contend with, we don't want to alienate the majority of patrons attending who sleep on site in tents, vehicles, and so on. I recall having to move my vehicle at Hopkinton a few years ago to minimize the noise. majority.

We realize that failure to deal with this makes it look like we are catering to the few, at the expense of the majority. While you can't please everyone all of the time, we do want to strike a good balance so that everyone feels welcome and wants to return.

As you said, everything in moderation. And a little bit of common sense goes a long way. Particularly since it will be an outdoor jam session.

n1wil

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2007, 11:21:31 AM »
Of course, for those who want to stay up REALLY late, our crew on 90.5FM will be airing some nostalgic programming and other audio of special "ham" interest (provided by the almighty Mr. Mike, W1RC) beginning at midnight.  As it's over the airwaves, those who want to be up in the wee hours can do so and continue to socialize and trade stories without disturbing others. We might even open up a "talk show" over our onsite crossband repeater to discuss related issues, and stories - the audio of the crossband would simply be patched in over the board so listeners can hear and actively participate if they have a dual band HT or 440 HT. Maybe if the "Tron" is agreeable, we could have an "Ask the Tron" or "Tron Time" show which takes listener input!  How 'bout it Tim?  ;)

One of the many benefits of not having radio receivers built into our heads...  we can still sleep if we want to.

Of course, this stuff is reserved for the really late night "Hard Cores"!  But we will also air some select recordings throughout other parts of the day as well for those who won't be nocturnal.

;D

Offline Whoz Your Daddy

• Rick
  • Extra
  • Extra
    • Who'z Your Daddy?
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2007, 07:30:25 PM »
If you need a longer xlr cord they can be connected one to another! I'll bring a few!
The Ham-Jam has been part of the hamfest ever since I've been a ham. I remember my first hamfest, which was at deerfield. I remember jamming with Eliot and a bunch of other guys! Rochester jams we're cool, having a building to play in was great! Hopkington was alittle more spreadout but we had our jams there too! If we just watch the volume and agree to quit at a decent time we should have no problems!
I'll see you at the jam!
73's Rick
Extra KA1VNJ

Offline k1kfi

• Advanced
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2007, 10:07:42 PM »
...Henry, glad to see you are coming to the fest!

Midnight would be a good time to put the tunes to bed....diehards could do accoustic after that....a thought! Since it is on an open air stage, I won't bring a keyboard...maybe next time...

I remember the last 'Hosstraders', the jamin' guys cut it at midnight and some of us actually got some zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz's!  I am sure it will work out fine. The weather down here on the cape cleared out today and the maps for New England look great for the next couple of days!

YAY!!!

mosby

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2007, 10:34:41 PM »
$10 for parking ad $10 for the door - see you later

Offline Nat

• General
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2007, 10:44:27 AM »
The stage for the jam session was a good idea, although it would have been even better to tootle on to midnite instead of 11. Even so we all had a great time! Thanks Mike!

Offline W1RC

• NEAR-Fest Founder & Benevolent Dictator.
  • Administrator
  • Extra
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2007, 12:32:47 PM »
The police chief asked me if I could turn it off at 11:00.  I complied and so did you.  Thanks for the cooperation. 

The stage for the jam session was a good idea, although it would have been even better to tootle on to midnite instead of 11. Even so we all had a great time! Thanks Mike!

Offline W1AC

• General
    • My home page
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2007, 01:14:30 PM »
I'd like to see the amateur performers up on stage before the pros: I was at the AM dinner, and by the time it was over I was too tired to perform.

Trust me, I do a great version of The White Collar Holler. Come see me in the fall ...

73, Bill W1AC