Author Topic: Micro Broadcasting  (Read 14605 times)

n1wil

Micro Broadcasting
« on: March 19, 2007, 01:17:39 PM »
Greetings all!

At the old HossTraders we were on the air at 95.5 on your FM dial.  We were and still are "The Pirate Ship".  We plan to use the same frequency if it is still available, else we will be on 90.5FM if 95.5 is not available.  (UPDATE We have been informed that 90.5 is an available frequency, so we will be broadcasting on 90.5FM! (Thanks Jeff)

Last HossTraders we at The Pirate Ship brought you the best hits of the 80s and 90s and some old time radio after sundown friday night.  Our last special feature was H.G. Welles War of the Worlds as originally broadcast in 1938 and caused some public panic as historical records show.

From our vast library of over 40,000 old time radio shows, we will select another great radio drama experience especially for the overnighters!  We hope that the extra social nature of our LIVE programming will entice more people to camp out and share the evening with us as well as all attendees of the fest. 

During the day however, we plan to cover and keep you well entertained.  If there are any hard core AM'ers or old timers that would like to share a nostalgic story, we would be thrilled to do a live interview with you and cover your experience for all to share.  We will have a wireless mic on hand and a longer range linking solution so we can even interview you at your campsite.

Our broadcast airs live for a full 24 hours of coverage and entertainment. 

If there are any other individuals who are planning to microcast, please post in this thread, we'd love to hear from you and maybe even get some kind of co-op effort/feature going.  It will be tons of fun.

We do have a website up and it tells our story of why we do this in the first place.  We also have some great pictures of our station setup for your viewing pleasure.  www.pirateshipradio.com

Stay tuned!

John, N1WIL

Offline N1ZZN

• General
Re: Micro Broadcasting
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 08:18:28 PM »
I hope to be setting up as well, with basically the same classic rock(ish) format, with a cleaner transmitter. I believe this will be the 8th or 9th NH overnight hamfest that I've set up the station at. I think the first one I did was in 2003. The name of the station will be slightly different, but the operation will be very similar. If anyone asks, I'm going to say the "call letters" stand for HamfesT Radio.

n1wil

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 09:38:26 AM »
I had posted this response in another thread, but I thought it was also appropriate to include here:

Thanks MrMike,

Yes we have a decent sized feedline for our FM operation as well as a Power over Ethernet setup for the WiFi hub.  The power over ethernet will allow us to place the data radio up near the antenna to keep the feed run as short as possible since there are great losses at 2.4GHz in cables.

I have also spoken to the members of the "PirateShipRadio" operation about collecting all the funds for our admissions up front and we're in the process of doing that so there should be a check in the mail shortly.

We were wondering, if we might ask if we could be allowed in at least an hour early before general admission so we have ample time to get our antenna launched, tuned and on the air in time for general admission (maybe some people might enjoy a "morning show" while they wait, and we could air important announcements over the dial to better organize a smooth entrance into the event).  I know Hopkinton had an accoustical PA that sometimes was hard to understand because of a lot of echo.  We would be happy to use our talents to carry the same announcements throughout the event as a means of returning the favor.

We'd be glad to assist in any way we can.

Regards,

n1wil

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 03:20:50 PM »
CONFIRMED:  We just found out that 90.5FM is open so we will be airing our "entertainment" on that frequency. 

If anyone has a preference for an old time radio drama show (to be aired after sundown friday night) please let me know and I'll search our vast archives.

Else, enjoy all request hists of the 80s, 90s, and today, including some independent programming, rock blocks,  and maybe even a guest DJ or two!   8)

n1wil

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 10:19:29 AM »
MrMike,

Cool.  I've sent Tim an e-mail (and CC'd you as well) so we'll see if he's interested.  Currently, we have 3 open Guest spots, they are:

9PM - right after our old time radio feature presentation
11PM
Midnight Madness Show(12AM)

We are considering opening a 4th slot: "The Air Diner" at 6, if anyone's interested in doing an early evening show.

All other hours in the broadcast will be general entertainment and music.

Regards,

Offline N1ZZN

• General
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 05:52:50 PM »
I just came up with something better that my "call letters" can now stand for. "We're Rockin' The Hamfest." Of course that is backwards, but at least it gives them some kind of meaning. (We're Hams That Rock, could be another, I suppose). 

Again, for anyone that hasn't heard my station in the past, I play mostly 60s/70s/80s Classic Rock, but there are some oldies from those years, and newer rock songs mixed in as well.  I've gotten many compliments on the music in the past.

I'm unsure if I'll be able to do any specialty programming in the evening. In the past I've attempted to broadcast jam sessions, but I don't currently have a wireless mic. I do at least have the wired mic, so if anyone has any ideas, let me know. I'm not much of an on air DJ myself, so the music pretty much runs itself, but I will take requests when I can.

n1wil

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 10:56:39 PM »
How about Ham Town Radio?   8)

Offline Poohpah

• General
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 01:40:21 PM »
Hey Jeff,
Hows za bout you have a talk show with me and Mr. Mike? Mebee Timmy could join in?
Meybee I could do a song or two on my guitar?

I am sure I can take time off from my grounding responsibilities.

Regards Q
QWT

Offline kd1na

• General
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2007, 07:45:12 PM »
How about The Haunted Hour or The Shadow for old radio programs. Buck Rogers is good also.

Dave KD1NA

n1wil

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2007, 01:12:11 AM »
We have all these shows.  We will air the most requested program come sundown, all are EXCELLENT choices.  We have over 40,000 old time shows in our library.

Please check our website for the latest info on simplex frequencies and tones required for making requests and contributing to on-air programming.  All the info you will need for our broadcast @ NearFest is on www.pirateshipradio.com

Also, be SURE to grab an electronic copy of our collectible flyer!  We will also have limited color printed copies available on site too.  Kudos to Jim Armstrong N1LNX for the flyer design!  It rocks Jim, thank you!!!!  Get the flyer here: http://www.pirateshipradio.com/flyer-spring-07.pdf  Feel free to print your copy!  Each year our flyers will be different, and designed to be "collectors items" and are only available for a limited time - so be sure to get yours! ;D  By the way, we are THRILLED to accept designs for the fall '07 and future flyers.  On all editions forward, we will print the credit of the designer - so here's your chance to partake in our journey.

On behalf of the pirateship radio crew, we would totally be elated if we saw our flyer proudly displayed somewhere on your vehicle, table, etc - that would ROCK!

Just to alay any concerns, all of our programming and on air verbiage is "family friendly".  8)

We hope to "flip the switch" and be on the air as early as 7AM Friday morning to keep y'all entertained while U wait for the gates to open @9.

We look forward to bringing you an entertaining radio service!

Offline WZ1L

• Technician
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2007, 08:50:50 PM »
We have all these shows.  We will air the most requested program come sundown, all are EXCELLENT choices.  We have over 40,000 old time shows in our library.

Please check our website for the latest info on simplex frequencies and tones required for making requests and contributing to on-air programming.  All the info you will need for our broadcast @ NearFest is on www.pirateshipradio.com

Hey,

I remember you guys!   Hey that was some very interesting stuff you played in Hopkinton, and I am happy that you will be heading to Deerfield with us.  You might be able to be a source of information if that Sound Guy is not there this year.

Remember to bring a tarp or something, don't want your DJ's getting zapped due to inclement weather.

Kewl!!!  I will have to bring a radio for our tent this year so we can keep up with the Pirate Radio broadcast.  :)

BILLP, WZ1L

n1wil

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2007, 10:02:37 PM »
Hey Bill, glad you enjoyed our programming in Hopkinton.  At each hamfest, we hope to air a unique experience every time, especially after sundown as we feel this could entice more people to camp out with us.  Kinda like a way to recreate the "old days" of radio where people gathered around their receivers and let their imaginations create the scenes of the nightly broadcasts.  I'm only 31 years of age, but I remember stories from my grandparents day where they would all gather round the radio in the evening.

Having grown up in the 80s, I never got the chance to experience what it was like, but it is our hope that we create the experience in a similar way at the hamfest.  During the day, we are all request and listener driven.  Don't forget to download our flyer!  We will also be accepting designs for the Fall '07 flyer  ;-)

Our crew comes prepared to broadcast in any weather, we will be on the air rain or shine, and it will be a bulletproof setup to withstand any weather.  We're armed n' packin'!

Glad you will be hanging out overnight with us all at the fest.  I'm trying to get more people I know interested in coming to this.

See you in Deerfield!

n1wil

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2007, 12:01:15 AM »
This was posted in another thread, but I thought it would be important to copy here as well:

We will be also carrying all important announcement traffic over the 90.5FM station in addition to "other" special important alerts/bulletins that may be needed as necessary.

All alerts and announcements will be preceeded  by a "Emergency Broadcast System" type tone before they are actually aired.  This will help listeners of the programming of 90.5 to easily distinguish when important information is being sent out.

Anyone listening for these bulletins should know that when they hear this tone, "important" info will immediately follow.

Offline W1AC

• General
    • My home page
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2007, 01:14:07 PM »
This was posted in another thread, but I thought it would be important to copy here as well:

[snip]
All alerts and announcements will be preceeded  by a "Emergency Broadcast System" type tone before they are actually aired.   [snip]

EBS tones are so boring. I suggest a tone from one of the James Bond spinoffs: the one James Coburn was in would do nicely.

n1wil

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2007, 09:45:35 AM »
Some thought was given to what could be used as an "alert", and amongst our crew, most thought that the EBS tone would better cue people into information that immediately followed.  This is mostly a "psycoaccoustic" issue in that most people that are tuned into one of the 2 stations broadcasting, will be less likely to hear any announcements as they are focused on other things they are doing at the fest.  If people are busy and doing many things, and the radio is on providing background music and enjoyment, the a short 4 second EBS tone will alert them to the fact that important information will immediately follow and that way people won't miss important bulletins.

For the "PEWS" alerts, we will use a LONGER tone than 4 seconds, it will be 15 seconds in length, so if you hear a longer tone, you should know what that means and if you don't, ask a fellow ham what the "PEWS" is!  ;)

Both Jeff (103.1) and I (90.5) will be on the air at 7AM sharp, and we have some cool stuff planned for your morning wait at the gates!

See you all at the fest - WE can't wait....  ;)

Oh and don't forget to check out our other projects on this board!  we'll have a crossband repeater on site set to the following pair:

INPUT: 448.100MHz PL 156.7hz
OUTPUT: 146.565 PL 156.7hz 

So if you have a dual band HT, this is perfect for not tying up local repeaters and allows you to keep your HT on low power to conserve batteries.

Also our WiFi file sharing system - See the relevant post for more info on that.

Of course, information about these other 2 services will be aired over the broadcast on 90.5 regularly along with other important info.

;D