Author Topic: 650 kHz PA system  (Read 10448 times)

Offline N1ZZN

• General
650 kHz PA system
« on: April 18, 2007, 11:22:53 PM »
I was wondering if the signal for the announcements on 650 kHz will be a constantly transmitted signal, or only active when things are being announced? It would be helpful to me if it's only on when things are being said, so I can keep a radio on with squelch.

n1wil

Re: 650 kHz PA system
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 11:58:41 PM »
We will be also carrying all important announcement traffic over the 90.5FM station in addition to "other" special important alerts/bulletins that may be needed as necessary. 

All alerts and announcements will be preceeded  by a "Emergency Broadcast System" type tone before they are actually aired.  This will help listeners of the programming of 90.5 to easily distinguish when important information is being sent out.

Anyone listening for these bulletins should know that when they hear this tone, "important" info will immediately follow.

Offline Poohpah

• General
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 08:16:05 AM »
It would be helpful to me if it's only on when things are being said, so I can keep a radio on with squelch.

Jeff, if the AM carrier was on all the time you wouldn't need a squelch since the receiver would be quieted.
Also I talked to Mike the other night and he said you should monitor the PEWS 2 meter frequency inorder to know when to broadcash the CD alert tone. Do you need a spare 2 meter transceiver to do this?

Regards
Poohpah Q

Offline n1wbd

• General
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 11:32:30 AM »
You may want to reconsider using 90.5 FM at Deerfield. WPEA in Exeter runs 100 watts (maybe more now) at Philips Exeter Academy. Exeter is about 20 miles away as the crow flies.

We will be also carrying all important announcement traffic over the 90.5FM station in addition to "other" special important alerts/bulletins that may be needed as necessary. 

All alerts and announcements will be preceeded  by a "Emergency Broadcast System" type tone before they are actually aired.  This will help listeners of the programming of 90.5 to easily distinguish when important information is being sent out.

Anyone listening for these bulletins should know that when they hear this tone, "important" info will immediately follow.

Offline N1ZZN

• General
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 04:45:42 PM »
You may want to reconsider using 90.5 FM at Deerfield. WPEA in Exeter runs 100 watts (maybe more now) at Philips Exeter Academy. Exeter is about 20 miles away as the crow flies.

When I was up in the area, the only station heard on that freq was a VERY weak WICN from Worcester. WPEA must be silent (or at least they were that day).

Offline n1wbd

• General
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 06:50:01 PM »

When I was up in the area, the only station heard on that freq was a VERY weak WICN from Worcester. WPEA must be silent (or at least they were that day).

I just checked the Philips Exeter website and WPEA is still active in fact they have new studios that were put in this winter.

n1wil

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 08:30:19 PM »
According to this chart:

http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/vacant?select=city&city=03037

The frequency of 90.5 is open in the deerfield area.  At least not audible.  If there should be a strong signal audible on 90.5, we will move to 90.7 which is also shown to be relatively clear. 

But for now, 90.5 is the "official" frequency that will be used, unless a change is required for the circumstances above. 

Please look for us on 90.5FM.

73's,

John, N1WIL

Offline WA1LGQ

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2007, 08:08:53 PM »
I can drag along a mini PA system for use somewhere on the fairground. It is a big old buzzard pa speaker mounted on a tripod stand, driven by a receiver designed for pa use. The receiver is a solid state 15 watt mono thing with high and low impedance mic inputs and a line input and a FM/AM tuner. Works well. The tripod stand will telescope up to about 10 feet high or so. All it needs is AC power..........Larry